Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Knew Concept Saws

Default Knew Concept Saws

OK, so not entirely off-topic... Has anyone else given in and ordered one (or all 3, as I've done!)?

i have to admit iv not seen these? id like to hear more on them though.

They've been raved about by a number of people (Cynthia Eid, Jim Binnion, James Miller among many others) as being a significant improvement on the traditional piercing saw. Basically, they're lighter and more rigid - they use aluminium frames and instead of tensioning by leaning on the frame, there is a blade tensioner built-in to the clamp.

http://store.knewconcepts.com/je3prhasaw.html has a bit more, but if you search Ganoksin you'll see a lot of comments about them. Of course, now demand is outstripping supply...!

i see, they sound far better than the darn piercing saw i have, useless bit of kit. Great so thats another item on my must purchase list. Everyone your going to have to stop being so helpful, my workshop is groaning its getting that full haha

I shall try and get hold of one asap so i can finally throw that other contraption in the bin.

My old piercing saw (think it's an Eclipse) still gets used quite a lot, although the stronger frame of the Grobet (999 73B) makes piercing more enjoyable. These are probably overkill, but I'm a tool junky with a habit to feed.

What's useless about yours? You are getting the tension on the blade OK, aren't you?

yes i get the tension, its just takes forever. and the lovely fine blades are wonderfully good at breaking. Although i found some slightly stronger ones recently so i shouldn't complain too much.

What grade blade are you using? My usual is 4/0, which I only usually break if I stop relaxing and tense up on the saw. For thick stuff (4-5mm) I'll often go to a 4 instead.

I caved in and ordered one (just one though!) about 10 days ago Peter - no sign of it yet, but I'm looking forward to it. I use a grobet frame at the moment, and I do find it feels very heavy by the end of the day.

Gah - why do you do this to me.....I hardly do any piercing work but now I feel myself wanting to saw little twiddly bits out, lol
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I caved in and ordered one (just one though!) about 10 days ago Peter - no sign of it yet, but I'm looking forward to it. I use a grobet frame at the moment, and I do find it feels very heavy by the end of the day.
    With the raving about them, I figured it was a fairly safe bet to go for the larger ones too - and, TBH, it's the flex in the bigger frames annoys me most. My order went in a week ago, so we'll see; he is claiming a 2-3 week lead time now.