Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Knew Concept Saws

I've been hankering after one (or 3) of them for ages. Cynthia Eid was demo-ing them last year and they did look good. Now you lot have them, I can probably justify it.

Oh dear... Just had confirmation that they shipped last night.

I love piercing!

Will be interested to hear all your reviews!!!

Do let us all know how you get on with them,

One might find it's way on to my wanted list.
    Neil

I should be able to let you know tomorrow.

Just paid the VAT & handling charges on them; no duty as the overall value was below the threshold. Pity VAT doesn't get the same threshold though!

Piercing is one of my favourite past times - I can lose hours! Will be interested to hear what you think too Peter!

Wow. Only used the 3" so far, and it is a joy to use. It feels completely insubstantial, but is really nice in the hand. Is it more accurate to use? No idea, but certainly steering it feels easier - don't know if it's the rigidity of the frame or the lack of mass.

The 3" & the 5" will be mainstays, I think the 8" will get less use (but it will get used).

I think I might pierce a coin for practice - I'm bound to have something old & sacrificial around.

Mine's been in customs for a while. I'm still waiting for a bill from them I want my frame!

Totally agree Peter! I love it.

I kept reading that people were having problems with snapping blades, but I've used blades ranging from 4/0 up to 1 (or possibly 2) without any breakages. The difference compared to even my good Grobet frame is astonishing.

I only got the 3", and I'm happy with that - I rarely need anything deeper, and couldn't justify the cost of the other sizes. The tensioning system is excellent, and it holds its tension perfectly for far longer than anything else I've ever used.

The weight is just the icing on the cake. Much more comfortable to use, and because it's not top heavy, it feels more accurate.

Very big thumbs up from me.

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Totally agree Peter! I love it.
    So you've finally got yours?! I meant to ask, sorry.

I kept reading that people were having problems with snapping blades, but I've used blades ranging from 4/0 up to 1 (or possibly 2) without any breakages. The difference compared to even my good Grobet frame is astonishing.
    No problems with blade breaks for me either. The ones supplied were a bit coarse for me, so they've been swapped out for 4/0. There is an "issue" where some finer blades aren't held securely as the saws have been set up to take up to #8 blades, but the adjustment is simple enough - just tighten the anvil screw a small amount.

I only got the 3", and I'm happy with that - I rarely need anything deeper, and couldn't justify the cost of the other sizes. The tensioning system is excellent, and it holds its tension perfectly for far longer than anything else I've ever used.
    The 8" is the least justified one, but I do use 5" saws a moderate amount (cutting discs out of larger sheets particularly) - and the extra frame rigidity is more noticeable to me than it is on the 3".

Not giving up on my Grobet completely though - I've got a #4 blade strung in it at the moment, and I'll probably keep using it for more rough & ready stuff. Piercing 6mm thick steel, for example.