Thread: Problem melting and pouring ingots

Default Problem melting and pouring ingots

hi,

i have previously tried to melt silver in a scorifier with one of the cooksons hand torches to no avail. i have then used a nimrod t75 this also does not manage to melt the silver. I have resorted to using my melting furnace to do this but this is not the most accurate method.

I am looking to buy an oxy gas set up but cannot find a full set up, all the parts are seperate on cooksons site and dont know what pieces i need, does anyone know where a full kit is available? also is the fuel easily available?

Regards and thanks for all your help with previous threads

Stu

Stu -

I use a Sievert propane torch for my melting. Sometimes I'll surround the scorifier with a couple of soft firebricks to reflect the heat back, but that's usually only for larger quantities of metal. So long as I can get a superheat onto the metal - and hold the flame on the scorfier as I'm pouring - this does me well enough.

Heat the ingot mould too - coat the inside with oil, then heat it until the oil smokes, This will help prevent the metal cooling too rapidly as it goes into the mould.

thanks, i had a feeling i was going to need to upgrade to a sievert torch, im glad to hear it does the job.

Thanks

Stu

one other question, what head do you use on the sievert torch for melting? any preference?

I'll need to check, but I think it is 2941 - the standard 28mm burner. I could try a 35, but this seems OK (so long as there's no draft).

great thanks for your help. All in the shopping basket ready for me to decide what other pieces i need.

Stu

An anti-rupture attachment was an early addition on mine - the idea is that if a hose bursts, it will automatically cut the gas flow. That said, I've triggered it by cranking the pressure up to 4 bar too fast too...

Mine came from BES - awful site to navigate, but pretty comprehensive on fittings.

Quote Originally Posted by stu_clouds View Post
    hi,

i have previously tried to melt silver in a scorifier with one of the cooksons hand torches to no avail. i have then used a nimrod t75 this also does not manage to melt the silver. I have resorted to using my melting furnace to do this but this is not the most accurate method.

I am looking to buy an oxy gas set up but cannot find a full set up, all the parts are seperate on cooksons site and dont know what pieces i need, does anyone know where a full kit is available? also is the fuel easily available?

Regards and thanks for all your help with previous threads

Stu
    Many natural forms of gold contain impurities, so a flux is required to collect them and remove them from the gold there are many formulas for flux mixtures, but for simple melting of clean gold fines, a mixture of borax and sodium carbonate works fine.

Hi Guys can any body tell me that what topic is going on?