Thread: Dremel for polishing

Default Dremel for polishing

I just got the Cookbook and wow, that's me tied up this afternoon.
    I'm looking at the polishing and sanding attachments, will these fit my dremel? i use a Busch drill bit and that fits ok.
    What attachments would you recommend for polishing and sanding out scratches? There are so many to choose from.
    When i'm filing I always seem to scratch the back of the piece and it would be great if I can sand them out without my arm aching
    thanks
    Jille

Default polishing scratches

The problem with polishing out scratches will be to preserve the shape of the surface. For instance on flat surfaces use various grades of abrasive paper wrapped around a wooden block, or use an abrasive sponge block. Rotary tools are quite bad at this. To avoid scratches in the first place use masking tape.
    A visit to a Leyland paint shop will provide lots of goodies. Dennis.

I absolutely swear by the sanding rolls for getting out scratches. I get through boxes and boxes of them.

thanks Dennis and carol for your comments.
    Carol by sanding rolls do you mean the ones like those for a demmel or other power tool?

Default Polishing scratches

I shall leave Carole to elaborate on "sanding rolls" as there are at least three types. Instead I should like to draw your attention to the medium frosting wheel on p641 of the CookBook. If you are willing to have a frosted finsh, rather like silver sandpaper, these will easily remove scratches and blemishes. They must be run quite slowly, or the wires will start flicking off. A good reason for wearing protective goggles. I sometimes hold the piece in my fingers and it does not hurt (much).You can also mask out a border with masking tape and gently frost the centre.
    To restore this finish after soldering and pickling, use a hand brass brush with plenty of liquid soap and water, or a fine radial disk (p642),which is made of rubber.Again not too fast.
    Lastly on p643 you will find 999ACR, a Scotchbrite wheel which will remove shallow blemishes and leave a dull matt finish. Move the wheel around a lot to avoid grooves, and keep it slow or it will unravel.
    If you are fascinated by abrasives as I am you will want to try them all, but mind your eyes. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 07-03-2010 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Spelling

Dennis I really appreciate your reply, I'm going to look them all up tonight. i love tools and gadgets, i do a lot of arts n crafts so they are gradually taking over the house, but a few sanding wheels........who will notice
    thank you
    Jille

These are the ones I use Jewellery Making Supplies | Cookson Gold Precious Metals | Jewellery Findings

I had a frosting wheel once but I think I pressed too hard with it cos all the bits of wire flew off it. I may try another as I've learned a lot since then. I've got a big one for my big polisher, but I hardly ever use that.

Carol they look very handy, I'll put some on my next order
    thank you
    Jill