Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beginner's Disaster

Just to clarify - do both pieces of silver need to be heated to high temp or just one?

So, for example, if soldering a little finding to a large piece - does the soldering work if just the finding heats up quickly or do both need to?

I always concentrate on the bigger part first. Get that up to temperature, and then just flash the heat as necessary over the smaller bit to reduce the risk of melting it completely! Then a quick waft over the join itself if it hasn't already flowed - which it usually has by then.

ok, thanks!

Hi Woof. Agree with the others re needing a more powerful torch - they do sound like chunky bits of metal. (but maybe you meant 0.5mm sheet rather than 5mm)

If you are worried the torch may be too big, you can always turn it down a bit and/or move it further away from the work.
    Ian Addison
    www.silverkiss.co.uk

If I , then so I and we can

Please remember that I'm a newbie to this metal bashing lark, but I'm an experienced blagger. Read all that I say with that in mind, and please challenge and/or correct me where necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverKiss View Post
    Hi Woof. Agree with the others re needing a more powerful torch - they do sound like chunky bits of metal. (but maybe you meant 0.5mm sheet rather than 5mm)

If you are worried the torch may be too big, you can always turn it down a bit and/or move it further away from the work.
    OMG, sorry, yes, I meant 0.5mm sheet! (another senior moment!)

Don't worry - you are not alone! I picked up some Rotacraft drill bits a couple of days ago that were labelled 8mm and 6mm rather than 0.8mm and 0.6mm (which is what they were and what I wanted).

Haha! I asked my petal cutter to cut me some 7mm petals the other day - he said - you do mean 7cm don't you?

Hey, can't we go back to feet and inches? This constant conversion in my head from imperial to metric and back again - no wonder I getting all befuddled...lol