Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Uni to get a degree in jewelry and silversmithing in UK

I'm not offended either - although I do find myself looking at jewellery more from the point of 'how did they do that' than actually wanting to wear it!

I did a short silversmithing course years ago with the local adult education centre and a wonderfully stocked local workshop - that's what got me my Cookies account!

The course did not cover design at all - in fact we were supposed to turn up knowing what we wanted to make and that was the "beginners" course - and that confused me rather as I had no idea what I wanted to make.

My designs are probably based on things I see - but I'm gradually learning to find inspiration is the items in my hands or around me - but maybe a course on design would be useful for me sometime. Or maybe not
    Anne

Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
    Blog: http://www.whiteoakjewellery.blogspot.com/

Nope a very interesting response and no offence taken at all.

On the other side though there are the complaints that universities don't teach enough quality jewelry making skills and do focus mainly on design with little effort in getting students to really consider the execution and finish etc. How many people can leave a university course and do great quality goldsmithing and setting work?

So - that Is why I am looking for the place that has it all not that I will be going there any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Myosotis View Post
    A lot of people now (not everyone in case people start jumping on my back) seem to do a couple of "silversmithing" courses and then start teaching.
    It's a trend not solely limited to jewellery... In, for example, the bushcraft world, there are a lot of "schools" have been set up by people who have done 1 or 2 short courses then decided they're going to teach. It doesn't seem a wise move to me - I tend to feel that a teacher needs both wide knowledge of the subject matter and experience.

As for the mask - this one? Central Saint Martins College of Art & Design - Central Saint Martins Snapshot blog – Mask made by CSM’s Peter Page acquired for V&A’s permanent collection

WOW that is truly amazing !!!
    Jules

It's a bit frustrating for me tbh - I'm trying to get back into it but I didn't realise how its exploded in the last few years especially with PMC (I've got a unused solidified block of vintage c1996 mitsubishi PMC kicking around somewhere!) There seems to be so many hobbyists out there barely charging enough to cover their costs (but having a great time doing it coz they've just "discovered" making jewellery and it's like, sooo addictive so) its hard to make a living at it because the "lower" end market is very crowded, yet if you want to go "higher" end most exhibitions and things like "Dazzle" mostly only want graduates because it seems more elite.

I'm still pondering over designs at the moment - most people are generally conservative but want to feel they've got something unique so I've got to get the balance between USP and (that ugly word) commercial.

I am so sick of looking at courses taught by someone who has only been making jewelry a year and probably knows a hell of a lot less than I do.

You see I wasn't that impressed by the mask from a fabrication stand point. Different design for sure and eyecatching - but it didn't look like the work of a master jeweler.

It must be super-frustrating for anyone looking to take a PMC course - there are so many "instructors" in that right now. What is that all about? is it something set up by the manufactures of PMC?

As for the mask - this one? Mask made by CSM’s Peter Page acquired for V&A’s permanent collection

(First attempt at quoting!)

that's the fella! See, it's not something I would wear (maybe more Lady Gaga's style) but if you can come up with concepts like that then you can find ways to adapt the idea for something more wearable ie a choker or neckpiece.

Lucy I agree about the lack of "practical" skills from a degree. As an example when I did my 2 year course you were told "mix your borax with slightly fairy liquidy water, paint it on with your brush, pick up your pallion (can never spell that!) with tweezers etc etc. At the goldsmiths we just used an unfolded paperclip as a pick and easyflo solder - so much quicker. There's a lot of things that won't get taught on either long degree type courses or short courses. You won't get taught how many sizes you can stretch a ring before you have to put a piece in, or how to replace a claw on a ring, or how to solder a break in a hollow rope chain (oh god flashbacks to that smell!)

Unfortunately I don't think the kind of course that combines both design and practical workshop skills exists - they seem to be mutually exclusive!

It's something to bear in mind when designing and making something - how strong is the design, ie will it stand up to day to day wear and tear, and if it breaks will it be repairable.

Oops just noticed the time better do some work

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
    I am so sick of looking at courses taught by someone who has only been making jewelry a year and probably knows a hell of a lot less than I do.

You see I wasn't that impressed by the mask from a fabrication stand point. Different design for sure and eyecatching - but it didn't look like the work of a master jeweler.
    I agree about the fabrication - I could probably make something like it myself but the point was more about not what you know but who you know - it was designed for an Ossie Clark show, worn by Bianca Jagger and is now in the V&A museum (not sure but maybe equivalent to your Metropolitan museum?) permanently. That the sort of environment you'd be exposed to at those unis that I in my little shed workshop doesn't have

Anyway shouldn't you be in bed? Isn't it silly o clock in NY at the moment

he he! at the moment I am in sheffield - so I'm wide awake now.