Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hallmark query

Default Hallmark query

Is it possible to use a silver plated stone setting within a sterling silver piece (the setting would be a small part of the overall metal content) and have it hallmarked sterling?

I'm getting a bit confused over the whole thing!

I'm not sure why you'd want to use silver plated elements in sterling pieces. If you were soldering them, you'd be in difficulty. Much better to make your own setting and then you could get it hallmarked if you wanted to.

Because the book I'm reading advises using prefabricated settings to save time/cost and I have been unable to find anything suitable in sterling, only in plate.

And say if I were to make a sterling decoration for a hair comb - would I have to make my own comb in sterling, too (instead of using already made silver plated one?)

There are plenty of suppliers of prefabricated sterling mounts if that's what you need. Though I'd recommend learning to make your own - what sort of book are you working from?

As for the question about a hair comb, if the sterling decoration was over 7.78g in weight and needed hallmarking, you could have that done, and subsequently attach it to the comb, but you'd need to be very clear about that in any description.

Agree with the "why do you want to?" opinions.

But anyway, I think that the answer is no. Extract from here: Sheffield Assay Office: Mixed Metal Marking

"If an article includes base metal parts 1.Those base metal parts must be clearly distinguishable from precious metal parts by colour and/or texture and must be clearly visible by their extent...."

So, the fact that they are silver plated seems to rule them out.
    Ian Addison
    www.silverkiss.co.uk

If I , then so I and we can

Please remember that I'm a newbie to this metal bashing lark, but I'm an experienced blagger. Read all that I say with that in mind, and please challenge and/or correct me where necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    There are plenty of suppliers of prefabricated sterling mounts if that's what you need. Though I'd recommend learning to make your own - what sort of book are you working from?

As for the question about a hair comb, if the sterling decoration was over 7.78g in weight and needed hallmarking, you could have that done, and subsequently attach it to the comb, but you'd need to be very clear about that in any description.
    The book is Silver Threads by Jeanne Rhodes-Moen, (filigree jewellery book).

I want to extend the range of designs I am able make by by learning to solder and the use of filigree - and would want to include various stones in these - do they contribute to the weight?

(thought it was a good plan till I discovered I would need to hallmark!)

Can you recommend a supplier with a good range of sterling mounts, please, in case I can't the hang of making them myself?

Quote Originally Posted by SilverKiss View Post
    Agree with the "why do you want to?" opinions.

But anyway, I think that the answer is no. Extract from here: Sheffield Assay Office: Mixed Metal Marking

"If an article includes base metal parts 1.Those base metal parts must be clearly distinguishable from precious metal parts by colour and/or texture and must be clearly visible by their extent...."

So, the fact that they are silver plated seems to rule them out.
    Ok, thanks, that answers that, they wouldn't be clearly distinguishable, so that's a definite no-no.

Quote Originally Posted by woof View Post
    ..... and would want to include various stones in these - do they contribute to the weight?
    No, the need for hallmarking is driven purely by the weight of precious metal in the piece.

Of course, you can use plated components and not have it hallmarked, but you can't describe it as silver whatever the weight. I suspect that you could describe the piece as silver plated, though, but that rather devalues it. "ship and ha'p'orth of tar" and all that.
    Ian Addison
    www.silverkiss.co.uk

If I , then so I and we can

Please remember that I'm a newbie to this metal bashing lark, but I'm an experienced blagger. Read all that I say with that in mind, and please challenge and/or correct me where necessary.

Cooksons do some mounts and you can get Hallmarking done through them as well if the set up cost is an issue

Ok, thanks, everyone for your help.

I'll learn to make the fiddly bits and get a hallmark registered - in for a penny in for a pound!