Thread: doming punch & disc cutter query

Default doming punch & disc cutter query

Hi – I have a dilemma. It so happens that my life will not be complete without a set of doming punches and disc cutters . Cooksons sell 2 dfferent disc cutters – one’s around £50m, the other £90 ish. They also sell a large selection of doming blocks and punches, again, from around £50 upwards.

They also sell this, Deluxe Disc & Doming Set - Cooksongold.com which looks like it cuts and domes all at once, and it also cuts cones, which seems pretty cool. But I wonder whether it would end up being less flexible than buying the disc cutter, doming block and punches all separately. It is, however, considerably cheaper.

Anyone got any wise words of advice?

Hello and welcome

My only thought regarding this wonder tool (and, yes, I have thought about it quite deeply) is that something that does all things can't do them as well as a tool dedicated to just one action.

I have separate cutters and doming block and it really is not difficult to do. I have to add that I haven't used the wonder-tool, so can't comment from experience using it.
    Di x

I got the Deluxe set for Christmas and to be perfectly honest it is absolutely no different in either quality or efficiency as a cheap one purchased from Ebay, the only advantage is, that it domes the shape for you as you punch, but as it easier to remove any marks that the punch may make when creating the discs when they are flat rather than domed, so I don't use it anymore and have gone back to my old disc cutter and separate doming block.

I could be wrong here but doesnt this set limit you quite alot in terms of the depth of dome? Do you have to have a certain dome for each size disc wheras if you have separate punches etc you can make it shallow or as deep as you like?

hmmm, thanks.

Trudy - yes, that was my concern. I also want to be able to dome much larger discs.

Ok - off to have a look on ebay.

I realize this is a late reply to the conversation and your decision has already been made, but i felt i should add my eggs to the basket.
    I have the Deluxe Disc & Doming Set and i was under the impression that it cut discs, created a cone like bowl & an actual domed bowl....

This deluxe disc and doming set is a great way to
    expand your design options. This set not only cuts
    flat discs, but also forms and cuts cone or domed
    shaped discs.
    It comes with a small disc cutter and
    21 punches (7 flat, 7 concave, and 7 convex) all
    nicely packaged in a wooden storage box. Domed discs
    are formed by
    using the convex and concave punches
    with the disc cutter, which cuts seven sizes: 1/4",
    5/16", 3/8", 7/16", 1/2", 9/16", and 5/8".
    Equivalent approximate sizes in mm are 6.3mm, 8mm,
    9.5mm, 11mm, 12.7mm, 14.3mm, 16mm.
    Please note: covex & concave punches produce a shallow
    cone.The disc will need to be domed on a doming block.

So forgive me for thinking that the kit ACTUALLY created a dome,It does not. It creates discs and cones, I was quite disappointed by this because if i had known i would have bought punches and a doming block.

I think I had a case of what is called wishful thinking and not reading between the lines! cheeky.

We live and learn i suppose
    HannahMary Jewellery
    Website

Having looked at that product many times i to thought it domed Hannah the description 'This set not only cuts flat discs, but also forms and cuts cone or domed shaped discs.' says it does!!!!

oh that's very cheeky indeed. Even after all my research I totally didn't notice that last disclaimer.

In the end I bought a fairly cheap (ish) ebay set of 24 doming punches (2mm - 24mm ish?) plus doming block, and a separate disc cutter. It's been a lot of fun, but I wish the disc cutter could cut larger discs, because sawing isn't my favourite thing.

There's a fabulous Swanstrom cutter that you can get from Rio Grande in the US which cuts quite large discs, though you really need to use an hydraulic press with it.

Here sod's law operates. I once did that, admittedly with a cheaper set and bent the cutting punch. It left my set incomplete and you can't replace just one punch. This could be a major disaster with a $250 number(plus freight, plus UK charges) from USA. Am I being negative? D.
    Last edited by Dennis; 25-04-2010 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Spelling as usual.