Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Website Designer/do it yourself ?

If you want something that's ideal for a total novice try coffeecup.com

Their shopping cart creator for about £30.00 is really easy to use

Has a free trial period, so download play with it, and if its not for you,,dump it.

They have lots of bolt ons, to improve and stylise it at a later date as you learn

No-one has mentioned MrSite, which a few of us use. The Pro version has a PayPal Express Checkout and is only £50 (through Amazon, not the MrSite website!) for the package which includes a web address and hosting for the first year. £7.99 a month after that. I know this is based on templates and is mainly for those who have no programming knowledge. I have found it relatively easy to use as a non programmer (my brother is a web programmer and would not touch it!). MrSite have a User Forum for help, tips, questions etc. and the tech support are also involved in it. Due to the amount of users and the forum, they are continously making improvements based on user suggestions.

There's a lot of debate about Mr Site, isn't there! I love the look of the sites although a number of people have said they don't like the 'sameness' of them. As far as I can see, the sameness is just in the way it treats images - and I quite like it
    Di x

I agree, Mr Site is full of blips - not happy at all! I had bought one of their professional packages and ended up taking the e-commerce side to BigCartel because it's neat yet customisable and they have different package options, and it's very very easy to use.

And when my Mr Site agreement runs out, I'm moving everything to Wix.com - I just discovered it yesterday and set up a small site in a couple of hours so it's supereasy. They have several fresh and modern designs and they are all customisable to your requirements. You do have to pay (I think around $9 a month) to remove adverts and references to Wix.com, but you can then use your full domain name. There is an option for ecommerce too which I've not tried, but I'm happy with BigCartel, so I think I will just link to that and continue to use Big Cartel.

Hope this helps!

If you just want a webiste - then I would go fro using wordpress - yes it's predominantly for bloggers, but I've used it to build a lot of websites for clients who want an easy to use content management system. In fact the past 5 or 6 sites I've done have all been done using wordpress. It's extremely easy to use - so updaing your site is a sinch. I code from scratch though, so always go for the self hosted option, which means you need to know how to set up a databse on your hosting package - but this is relatively easy to do. If you're not into coding then there are millions of free themes out there to download and use.

As for e-commerce, this is something I have never got into as a web designer but looked into it recently for milomade - there are a few plugins for wordpress, but I only tried one and found it impossible - I wouldn't mind trying out some of the ones suggested here. Zen Cart is awful though so I'll avoid that like the plague if you don't mind. I recent;y set up a shop at zibbet.com - it's a pretty new site and although I'm getting lots of views, I've not had any sales as yet, but I'm going ot be patient with it. I'm concerned though that people aren't buying because you have to register in order to purchase. but then that's the same with all market places online and any shopping online, so maybe I'm wrong - maybe my stuff is just crap and no-one likes it and that's why I'm not selling anything.

back to web design and ecommerce - coffecup software is great - I've used some of their stuff in the past and didn't realise they did ecommerce stuff, so going to check that out now. Mr Site can also be good if you know what you're doing, but most of the sites I've seen built with mr site are just full of awful invalid code and they make me cringe. Plus the annual cost would put me off - too much for what you get to be honest.

i've rambled enough - but if you have any specific web deisgn questions, don't hesitate to ask as that's what I do for a living.
    Find Milomade online - follow the links below....
    Website | Instagram

I love word press too. You can get ecommerce plugins so it works like a proper 'website'.

For a site builder I would recommend Wix.com it has some really clean templates, is fairly easy to follow (I am not very web-savy and have managed to resist learning how to do this for a few years until now) and I already had my domain names and managed to load them so can't be too difficult

Metal clay magic - Jewellery courses by Lynne Glazzard
    Lynne Glazzard

Quote Originally Posted by Lynne Glazzard View Post
    For a site builder I would recommend Wix.com it has some really clean templates, is fairly easy to follow (I am not very web-savy and have managed to resist learning how to do this for a few years until now) and I already had my domain names and managed to load them so can't be too difficult
    The Wix websites appear to be flash orientated, which would make it very difficult to nigh on impossible, without loads of backlinks, to achieve high natural listings in Google