Thread: Precision Soldering with Minimal Heat transfer

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Precision Soldering with Minimal Heat transfer

Hi

I was wondering if anyone knows how to solder a joint on a pendant very quickly, I want to solder a small piece of tubing on the back of a pendant but must keep the heat transferred to the pendant at a minimum. This is because the pendant has a fine layer of gold foil fused to it and any heat transferred to it will diminish the gold into the silver.

Looking around the only option seems to be some form of welding but this seems quite expensive, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for any help.

ah, tried to upload a photo but I am unable as I haven't reached 5 posts yet.

you could add your photo to your album ??? so people can see and help , sorry can't help you i would have done it back to front and finished my work with the gold foil ..

Default Thanks

Yeah I should have thought more about the making process.

The pendant has also been passed through a roll mill, so the soldering operation had to be last. I didn't realize that the gold will quickly sink into the silver with only a small amount of heat

I have placed the problem in my album.

Ok from someone who avoids soldering cos she hasn't got the equipment yet, I suggest a cold fixing like a handmade rivet.

Sounds familiar... I hit the same thing with mokume (particularly if I've overheated the billet). Is an easier solder solder a possibility? I tend to get better results on things like that with pick soldering - possibly I'm getting better heat control. I've used Cool Gel (or Thermogel, or...) on the face of mokume before now in an effort to preserve the pattern; failing that - as suggested already - cold connections?!

think i'd better go and get myself the Hot and Cold Connections for Jewellers, maybe less soldering for me very nice work tell us how you get on ...

Quote Originally Posted by julie View Post
    think i'd better go and get myself the Hot and Cold Connections for Jewellers
    I have that book in my hand now! purchased it ages ago and never looked at it much, but it's a good book and there may be solution in it somewhere.

Does anyone use the mini torch? I keep thinking that some sort of high intensity flame just to quickly solder the joint might work?