Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Green Manace is finshed!!!

She's dead chuffed with the bracelet and wears it almost every day, I'm so proud of her
    Goodbye

So you should be, Mr Dragon, 'tis beautiful.
    Di x

Ooooh a Mister Dragon
    nic xx
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Wink Cheeky tippex trick to stop links soldering together

Quote Originally Posted by The Bijou Dragon View Post
    Thanks... it worked out at a rather expensive £202.75 if I was selling it given all the time I spent but I will be making lesser versions for a while until I can get my chain soldering technique down to only soldering one or two links together per one or two links lol

I'm so pleased with it I'm wearing it around the house today
    Looks lovely, your photography is really good, too. As you mention soldering links together, I'd like to share a dark secret with you - Before you heat it, apply tippex to the areas you don't want to stick together! (it maks a bit of a mess of your pickle bath but well worth it in the less swearyness stakes).
    When soldering each link, hold it up in the air by the edge of the link with your tweezers and apply heat with a fine tipped torch to the join (suitably fluxed, with a small pallion of solder on) till it runs, and the minute you take the heat off, shake the tweezer hand for a second or two till the solder solidifies, this stops any sticking. Then move onto the next one. Holding it up rather than putting it on a block stops the heat from travelling so much down the chain. Might seem long winded to have to apply each solder pallion indavidually, but takes less time in the long run than trying to unstick links. You can also use rouge as a non-stick trick but as it washes off I find the tippex easier. You'll need to pickle it for a good while in warm pickle if possible, if it doesn't come off straight away then float a wee plastic drinks cup with pickle in it (and the peice), in the ultrasonic and turn it on, should shake it all off no probs. Don't polish until it's off. Don't let the pickle actually get into the ultrasonic bath though!
    Hope this rather long-winded explanation helps! ( I used to have to repair tiny wee trace chains this way- it works.)
    Last edited by nikki_d72; 25-08-2009 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Forgot a bit