Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Green Manace is finshed!!!

beautiful. losing it abit on the bottle though!
    Em

Beautiful but really expensive. Is it gold?

I love your hand forged headpins.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte View Post
    Beautiful colour, and you photoagraphed it so well! Is it a gift to yourself? Did you choose your outfit to match it today? I always do that... jewellery is way more important than clothes
    LOL no... sorry I don't really wear anything outside of black to be honest as I suppose I fall into the Goff category of looks

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaRose View Post
    beautiful. losing it abit on the bottle though!
    Em
    Yeah I know but I'm not the best photographer and it was the only thing to hand

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    Beautiful but really expensive. Is it gold?
    Erm no, it's Sterling Silver but it was the time it took to make as I charge by the hour (my wages). It's not anything I am planning to sell for a LONG long time with hand-forged links. They will however come out at a slightly more respectable £60.00 with machine processed chain from Cooksons

Quote Originally Posted by Lindyloo View Post
    I love your hand forged headpins.
    Thanks, it was my first time making them and they weren't totally evenly round so I decided hammering them flat would make them look a little nicer.

Lots more practising to be done before I even attempt one again... I've only had my soldering kit two weeks

Last edited by ben b; 13-09-2009 at 01:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ben b View Post
    Bijou dragon.......
    thats a great bracelet, and if i may offer one piece of (hopefully) constructive 'critisism'? though your joints are small and neat, as its only a bracelet, and so not too long! for a 'superior' finnish, when twisting the soldered rings up, to form the curb, presumably one end in a vice, one end in the tongs/pliers? hold it under tension, and with fingers or pliers/tweezers, align the solder joints to be hidden by the next link, at the twelve o clock position. Yes, this puts more pressure on the joints, but a hard solder should take this.....but its a great bracelet.
    I already know this but didn't feel confident that the soldering (as it was my second only time doing it) would hold up.

I watched a lovely man making a watch chain using the exact method you mention. It's done with two specially adapted pliers also which I haven't currently made

Lovely! I really like the hammered head pins. How do you make them? Do you just melt the end of the wire?

~Rosie

Quote Originally Posted by SilverByRosie View Post
    Lovely! I really like the hammered head pins. How do you make them? Do you just melt the end of the wire?

~Rosie
    Yip, melt the wire in a torch flame until it beads up (but doesn't fall off and burn a hole through your t-shirt like I did lol), quench, pickle, then hammer then polish, tumble and finally polish again *phew*

Glad you like them

I'm going to have to give that a go at my next class. Unfortunately I haven't got anywhere that's safe to use soldering equipment at home.

I love cats eyes and though im not great at soldering and silver work myself i would agree with what benb says and try and solder your rings like that and if I could offfer some frendly constructive critisism it would be when u have soldered buy a set of little files the needle files and file over where you have dropped your solder then sand it and your links will look good.