Thread: excited, bit scared

Exclamation excited, bit scared

I got invited to advertise my jewellery in one of Vogue's feature adverts, looks like a feature really an advert, they emailed me out of the blue. Dithered for a few days and then took the plunge and said yes. Hope they still have a space left! Very expensive, to me anyway, but could be huge!

WOW - what are you going to be promoting?
    I've heard good and bad stories about the response of such ads but WELL DONE on giving it a go!
    Nic xx
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Hi Ley,
    I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but have you checked them out as legit? There are a lot of scams about where people an email such as the one you received and are asked to put money up front to appear in a mag.

If I've got that wrong, them my apologies, but I'd check their credentials out before going any further.

xx
    Jules

A friend of mine had an ad in Vogue but didn't get much response. I hope you're more successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    Hi Ley,
    I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but have you checked them out as legit? There are a lot of scams about where people an email such as the one you received and are asked to put money up front to appear in a mag.

If I've got that wrong, them my apologies, but I'd check their credentials out before going any further.

xx
    It's ok I phoned the magazine to check and don't have to pay intil 30 days after it comes out, I did wonder!

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    A friend of mine had an ad in Vogue but didn't get much response. I hope you're more successful.
    Yeah me too! I sort of felt like I had to take the chance if I could scrape the money together. I never thought I would be asked.

Quote Originally Posted by MuranoSilver View Post
    WOW - what are you going to be promoting?
    I've heard good and bad stories about the response of such ads but WELL DONE on giving it a go!
    Nic xx
    I've got to choose one piece of my stuff! Sort of hard, do I go for a really representative piece or my absolutely best piece which isn't very typical of what I do?

Default Possible advantages

I've been trying to get a local gallery to look at my stuff, maybe if I can put 'as seen in Vogue' they might be more inclined!

Have you got a website or flickr Ley - I'd love to see some of your stuff

I really don't want to rain on your parade but I'd think very carefully about it. Vogue and lots of the glossies have approached me and lots of my jeweller friends. All they want is your money. They try to make it irresistible by giving a discount but they're desperate to sell advertising space. I've been taken in by it in the past because I was flattered that they asked me. I know better now. Advertising in glossies or in any publication, in my opinion is a waste of time. If you can, I'd try and get out of it. I'd spend the money on booking a top end craft fair, as it's much more effective getting your work out there for people to see. You'll build up your reputation much better that way.