Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rock tumbler for rocks & cleaning jewellery

Question Rock tumbler for rocks & cleaning jewellery

Hi Guys,

Having looked through my new book on wire wrapping it suggests buying a rock tumbler for cleaning jewellery. (I'm also keen on using some lovely stones I found in my back garden and wonder if I can use the same piece of kit for this as well?)

If so, thats lovely, as I can justify buying one piece of kit to do two jobs ... Can any of you recommend one I could buy that is good for a complete beginner, but won't costafortune please?

I've had a quick look on the Cooksons site, but no luck.

Thanks a lot
    Jules x

It's how I use mine. I have different drums for tumbling with shot - they have fins inside to encourage the shot to drop on the jewellery. Mine's a Beach IIRC - nothing fancy or expensive, but mostly works.

Except on the days the end caps leak, when I swear at it. I run it in a tray as a precaution...

You can use the same tumbler, but it's important to keep the media completely separate. The grits you use for polishing stones and sea glass are very different to the steel shot for metal barrelling/tumbling. Most people who do both keep separate barrels for the two different jobs.

My main recommendation is that unless you have a very large or separate space, try to get rubber barrels. The plastic ones are extremely noisy - especially for tumbling stones, which can take weeks.

I have a lortone 3a. Not the cheapest machine, and not the most expensive either, but I researched for a long time and decided it was the one for me. I've never regretted that decision!

The Lortones are very nice... Thought about it, but went for the inexpensive Beach due to the level of anticipated use. The noise doesn't bother me because it's in the workshop, far from anywhere peaceful.

I bought a tumbler when I started doing PMC (which I don't do anymore) and bought a new rubber barrel for it for polishing silver with steel shot. I also put mine on a tray Peter - not because it leaked, but in case it leaked - I am soooo cautious lol!

Make sure you get a finned barrel for metal tumbling and a smooth one for rock tumbling as the finned barrel is needed to scoop up the shot and tip it onto your tumbled metal.

I bought mine off of e-Bay for a rather reasonable price (Budjens Bazaar I think it was called) he also sells the shot, media and everything you need as well as smooth or finned barrels!

Smile Rock tumbler for stones & also for cleaning jewellery

Thanks everyone for giving me so much useful info. I'm going to get a two barrel tumbler, with fins, so I can clean my jewellery in one and tumble my stones in the other... lovely !

Thanks
    Jules x

Remember also that if you by a 3lb tumbler and you buy two barrels that each barrel can only be 1.5lb a piece as the entire load (barrels and all) have to weigh a maximum of 3lb or you will put too much strain on your motor

Phew - have just run around trying to find my rubber barrel as I didn't remember it having fins - but it does

*adds to her ever groing wish list*
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away