Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: After the fact!

Default After the fact!

Having piled into a few threads, it's probably time I introduced myself.

I'm an engineer fulltime, and in my spare time I do... Stuff.
    Leatherwork, occasional blacksmithing, enough woodworking to make what I need - and, of course, jewellery.

I've been making jewellery now for around 6 years in various guises - a few courses along the way, but a lot of it self-taught (if reading books & online really counts as self-taught?). Mostly I work in silver, but do use gold for a commission. Had a break from it recently due to a lack of workshop space, but I've finally got a new one up & running now (and built my first dedicated bench too - planning to build the next already).

Interests along those lines include - but aren't limited to -

Mokume gane (fusing, not soldering)
    Traditional goldsmithing
    Stonesetting (collet, prong, flush - recently started doing grain)
    Engraving
    Raising ("normal" and anticlastic)
    Casting (cuttlefish, Delft clay)

Things I'd like to add to the mix:

Enamelling - done a very small amount so far, needs exploring.
    PMC (although I have a mental block on that one - every time I think of doing something in PMC, I cast it instead)
    More silversmithing!
    Spinning

I'm both a bibliophile and a tool junky - these can cause slight space issues (not to mention wallet). Some tools I can make readily enough, although I can get carried away with making tools to make tools to make tools to... What was it I wanted to make in the first place?

Of course, the biggest trick is finding the time to do all this - which is why I didn't surface from the workshop until well after dark last night! Helping look after a few horses also cuts into the available time.

Oh yes, and I'm an ACJ member (or at least, will be again if they ever cash the renewal cheque!).

Welcome to the forums! My dad was an engineer and like you he was forever beeing asked to make the tool that would make the tool that would do the job, and i so wish he was still alive as i would be forever asking him to resolve some issue i was having with making stuff do what i want it too lol, and although not a trained chippie he made some great furniture and would have enjoyed making a craft room for me with all the benches and storage things tailor made to my needs .

I am one of the newbies on this forum so i am a bit spongelike trying to absorb all the information i can, unfortunately i have a brain like a sieve (someone keeps ringing out my sponge) and so i forget how to do stuff without copious amounts of note taking lol

Look forward to seeing some of your work
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

Welcome to the forum, your vast knowledge is explained an engineering background look forward to seeing some of your work ..

Red face

Hello Peter, I was wondering when you were going to introduce yourself

Your life sounds awesome, you have so many specialities! What kind of engineer are you? What kind of books do you read? My collection has just expanded past my bookshelf and I have no more room, I'll just have to start piling them on the floor I think

I would love to see any of you leather work, wood work, blacksmithing as well as the jewellery if you have any images, stick them in your gallery! I come from a craft background so I just love anything handmade!

Hi Peter, pleased to meet you.

From one bibliophile to another I can sympathise with space issues - especially as I also do woodturning (although I've had to give that up for the time being), quilting, collect and read tarot cards and, very occasionaly, I knit too

I think books furnish a room and whoever wants to use their garage for a car - it is surely the space for lathes and stuff!

love
    Di

Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte View Post
    Hello Peter, I was wondering when you were going to introduce yourself
    As with everything else, when I get a round tuit...

Your life sounds awesome, you have so many specialities! What kind of engineer are you? What kind of books do you read? My collection has just expanded past my bookshelf and I have no more room, I'll just have to start piling them on the floor I think
    Chaotic might be more accurate... Strictly a software engineer these days - started in aeronautical, added in general metalwork & machining (there's no point designing things if you don't know how they'll be made!), then switched disciplines. It's only in recent years I've started doing these things at home - I get twitchy if I don't make or draw things.

Books? All sorts, but I rarely have time for fiction these days, more's the pity. I suppose something has to give. A lot of skills/crafts based stuff - old skills particularly (think self-sufficiency); a lot of cookery books too, but they have to have decent pictures to grab my attention.

I would love to see any of you leather work, wood work, blacksmithing as well as the jewellery if you have any images, stick them in your gallery! I come from a craft background so I just love anything handmade!
    The draft bench might be a candidate - it's not tidy, because I'm using it! It'll probably need annotations too.

I'll have a look & see what's about. There's a couple of old bits here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/88787044@N00/

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Cottage View Post
    From one bibliophile to another I can sympathise with space issues - especially as I also do woodturning (although I've had to give that up for the time being), quilting, collect and read tarot cards and, very occasionaly, I knit too
    Now knitting is something I ought to try - I keep meaning to learn crochet with wire, but it's somewhere lower down my list. I've got a lot of oddments of timber in various states of seasoning on shelves in the workshop - they're mostly destined for small boxes.

I think books furnish a room and whoever wants to use their garage for a car - it is surely the space for lathes and stuff!
    Lathes should always be a plural! My first house had a garage - on the one occasion I parked in it, I could only get out through the boot. Quickly gave in to the idea that it should become a workshop instead.

Default Oh wow!

Peter, your work is stunning! I just love the heavy gauge silver pieces, and the 40th wedding anniversary pendant, and...

Your photography's not to bad either old chap

love
    Di x

Why thank you Fun what you can do with a cheap light box and a black velvet scarf... (and I ought to treat myself to a newer camera some day soon)

I suffer from the usual male thing of trying to make jewellery out of heavy chunks - I really like forging the stuff! I guess one of the things I like about raising is getting the look of the volume, without the resulting mass.

Fab work!!!