Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: After the fact!

Hi Peter and welcome :-)
    I am also a bibliophile (quite the jewellery library me! and a member of ACJ for my sins!!
    Look forward to chatting more with you!
    Em

Thumbs up

Wow, I love your work, I've never seen that copper and silver effect before! I might have to ask you how to flush set at some point

Where did you go for the wildlife photos? I saw otters the other day, they are so interesting to watch... apart from the smell (they scent everything constantly!) Did you watch the Springwatch live webcams? They were awesome, especially the Kestrel.

Most of my books are cookery books too, I love to cook as much as I love to make jewellery I read a lot of science books (on biology/evolution etc) and I have lots of classic fiction too.

I told my fiance about all the stuff you do when he saw me looking at flickr, and I think I said it too entusiastically because he asked me why I don't just marry you instead, lol!

lovely work peter the copper/silver very effective and very nice flush settings

Talking Everyone is SO brilliant!!

Have you noticed something guys?.....You only have to scratch below the surface of people on this forum and everybody is so interesting and busy and of course creative!!...no wonder we are such an awesome lot!!
    Ok, Ok, so Peter seems to be rather busier than most!! And your work is amazing Peter!...and I'm sure you'll be running off beautiful Fair Isle and cable jumpers in your spare time very soon too!!
    Barbara

Peter your work is so neat and tidy - which is great - I love neat and tidy! And perfectly finished. Its great, well done you. Wow.

There are so many talented people on this forum (I'm starting to feel like I'm not one of them ) Better up my game!

Wink

Lol, I know how you feel Alexandra! I've got to start learning about what I'm doing to up my game a bit!

The copper & silver is 21 layers of alternating copper & fine silver, forged out & rolled to a couple of mm thick before attacking it with a round burr, then flattening it again - leaves a topographic map of the exposed layers. It's nothing to what is being done out there - look at http://www.mokume.com for some *really* impressive stuff.

Of course, you can't hallmark it... Or, really, anything it is subsequently attached to - so a silver ring with an inlaid panel of copper/silver mokume wouldn't come up to 925 fineness. I'd have to work with different colours of gold to have it hallmarked.

The otter photos were taken at Drusillas over towards Eastbourne; the hawk & owl photos were taken for a falconry centre my wee brother volunteered at (now sadly defunct). I don't really like the cat cabochon, but it was exactly what the customer asked for, so it did the job!

I cheated learning the flush settings - there's a really good "classroom in a box" available from http://www.newapproachschool.com/html/video.html which is an utterly incredible learning tool - the DVD is "only" 2 hours long, and is crammed full. In the early stages it was very helpful to pick through the stages, pause, try that bit at the bench then go back and revise that section. It's expensive, but it paid for itself very quickly.

Cable jumpers? Hmm, I have some high tensile steel cable handy, but normally I weld it...

My game's not that good yet - I need to up it too!

Now that would knit up chunky!!!
    Barbara

LOL :-) you are all so funny
    I used to go to Drusilla's as a child, and I love photography now (find me on facebook and you can see!)
    Emma

Wow Peter. No wonder you are so knowledgeable about tools and stuff. Loved your work. I only did one class on forgeing (sp?) and loved it, but don't have the warewithall to do it at home, unfortunately. I'll certainly be picking your brains again some time.

My Dad was an engineer too. And he used to get the machinists to rig up things for my projects at uni - not jewellery unfortunately, but biology projects - that was sooo handy!