Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Street Hoodwinkers

Default High Street Hoodwinkers

The amount of wool that's pulled over peoples eyes when they go shopping in the High Street is really, really beginning to annoy me!
    For example - look at the description of this Earnest Jones ring
    You'd think you'd be getting a single stone wouldn't you??
    Nope it's one of those 4 small stones jammed together rings.
    I'm not even sure whether they might be counting the shoulder set stones in the total weight....

+ what about the long term longevity of a setting like that??
    These are sold as Engagement rings designed to last against every day wear and tear....
    It seems to be getting more and more common too....is it all about a quick buck these days??

or another poor lady who'd bought her costly white gold engagement ring in another High Street Jeweller only to have her finger break out in blisters 6 months later (presumably when the Rhodium wore off exposing the Gold alloy below). The stores solution....pay to have it re-plated madame!

The only thing I like about the High Street is the service is often so poor that it makes us little shops really stand out as being people who CARE about service.
    Thankfully they're so greedy with their prices, that we can also compete on price too, it's just a shame that the public who don't take the time to compare (because they think little jewellers are going to cost the Earth) end up with rings that could've been so much better!

Nic xx
    P.S> Sorry for the rant it just really steams me and I'm sure a lot of you have similar horror stories or feel the same way
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

reminds me of a ring my sister bought, she went to London to get it and paid the earth. It was bought as white gold but when she had it resized it came back yellow. Trading Standards took them to court over it

But the description says it is made up of four stones? I can't see how it would make you think differently?

My engagement ring was made of four stones in the centre, set together in a similar way, but with a rubover setting and it came from the Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham (though I'd say this was the design in the case of my ring) and I wore it every day for eight years with no trouble. I still wear it a lot now and it's absolutely fine
    Lucinda

I'm glad you said that Lucinda cos when I looked at the ad I thought it was pretty obvious that it was four centre stones. I thought perhaps I was missing something obvious that I should have picked up with gimlet eyes!

I do agree that high street jewellery chains leave a lot to be desired but, in this particular instance, I don't think they're guilty of pulling the wool over anybody's eyes.
    Di x

It's more the big description - it says
    "Platinum quarter carat princess cut diamond ring"
    Now technically it is a ring with 1/4 of a carat of diamonds in it, but it isn't a "quarter carat princess cut diamond".
    This way of describing these cluster rings can lead people to think of it as the same as a 1/4 Carat stone.

Some customers of mine came in and asked for a quote (to compare my prices with towns).
    It was only when the design they'd seen was online that I checked and noticed it was a cluster setting.
    The per carat price is higher on a larger stone, than smaller stones making up the same equivalent weight,
    but the public don't know that...which is why I think the description on these type of rings should say cluster.

Lucinda - I'm sure your rubover setting would be holding the stones very securely against the support underneath them.
    The talented setters in the jewellery quarter, wouldn't produce some of the rings I've seen with this setting ~
    the prong holding the diamond in place has definately not been up to par!

nic x
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

It's more the big description - it says
    "Platinum quarter carat princess cut diamond ring"
    Now technically it is a ring with 1/4 of a carat of diamonds in it, but it isn't a "quarter carat princess cut diamond".
    This way of describing these cluster rings can lead people to think of it
    Ah, yes, Nic, you're right
    Last edited by MuranoSilver; 26-01-2010 at 07:52 AM. Reason: changed php to quote :)
    Di x

Anyone else notice that the stones in the shoulder are set quite unevenly?
    Or am I just being much too fussy?

Generally I think the ring is quite stylish, but i agree with Nic that they should give pieces a proper desciption.

Ah, I suppose on it's own that is quite misleading, though I immediatey saw the picture, so I swa what it really was IYSWIM.

I really like the design though, I guess by having the four stones you get extra facets and therefore more sparkle.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexandraBuckle View Post
    Anyone else notice that the stones in the shoulder are set quite unevenly?
    I actually think the refelctions in the picture are making them look a litle uneven.
    Lucinda

Ah ha !!!!! I have you now Nic and i agree with you ,,,, it is very misleading, people are beginning to realise though i think !!!

Quote Originally Posted by agent_44 View Post
    I actually think the refelctions in the picture are making them look a litle uneven.
    You may be right - I'd be surprised to see something like that having quite such uneven setting.

As for the tactic of talking up the perceived value by totalling the weight of gemstones... I don't much like it. It's something that the shopping channels seem very prone to, it always makes me suspicious.

On a related note, I see both Which and the OFT are having a bit of fun with the "sell your gold" con artists - my latest copy of Which had them sending 9k items in, only to be told in one case that it wasn't gold and they would be charged for its return. While the article is a bit flawed in that the purchase price is used as an index and not the actual value of the gold, the conclusion seems to be to use a high street jeweller - although I suspect most of us here would use our hosts?

Which? slams cash for gold buyers - Which? News