Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best torch?!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnm View Post
    I went out and bought myself a pressie today... a Sievert.... got it really cheap, about £95 which included the gas and bottle! Can't wait to use it either!
    thats a really good price! what made you chose that one over any others?

Quote Originally Posted by Unhindered View Post
    sorry to be a pain george but i meant your lakeland one, just trying to look at all my options before i decide which one to go for!
    This is George's torch - I can confirm it's fab
    Di x

I use one of these pretty much all of the time. It's an oxygen and propane mix smiths little torch. superb. Despite it's size will burn to 6300F and melt 1 1/2 ounces of silver without any hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Cottage View Post
    This is George's torch - I can confirm it's fab
    Thank you it looks pretty impressive!

Feeling a tad silly now as my boyfriend managed to make the torch work... But as I said I am looking into getting a more advanced torch also!

Quote Originally Posted by Unhindered View Post
    thats a really good price! what made you chose that one over any others?
    I chose that because that's what I used in class, well that and my tutor recommended it. The price is good isn't it!

I've just been apponited as UK distributor for an established torch company anyone interested please see pm me or check on my website (will be there in a couple of hours).

Carl

Default Decisions decisions!

Sorry to rake up this thread, but after reading through all the threads on torches, I'm a little confused and would love some advice!

I'm trying to solder a really simple bangle - rectangular wire 4mm x 1.3mm on a soldering block.

I know that my torch isn't getting hot enough having read through the posts. Its a little rubbish one, that only cost £5, and runs out of butane after about 6 minutes, so not long enough to heat up the whole bangle.

So now I'm trying to decide between the lakeland torch, and the Nimrod 500. I can see George has both, so am wondering if there is a reason why you would need both, or if one is better than the other? From what I can see, they both heat up to the same temperature, but does the Nimrod last longer and therefore make it easier to heat a larger object?

Any advice very welcome - I'm always buying the cheap thing and finding it doesn't work so have to upgrade so would like to make the right decision for once!

I don't have both - I have the lakeland one (lovely and hot and quite a bushy flame) which is great for annealing and would certainly solder your bangle. I also have the Nimrod PT75, which is much finer flamed than the 500, and which I use for smaller scale jobs.

I also have my seivert - which I barely ever use now because I love the convenience of having no hose to tangle myself up in!

Thanks George - my mistake (obviously read too many threads!) I thought about the Seivert, but the big gas can idea scares me a bit, and it seems easier to have a standalone unit.

How long would you say the Lakeland lasted before running out of gas? I guess I'm off to Lakeland tomorrow hehe!