Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Challenges?

Default Monthly Challenges?

In another craft forum I used to belong to the members arranged Challenges. It was mainly so that we could try out new techniques or provide a bit of inspiration for each other (Gemma mentioned in another thread that her's is Missing!). Admittedly it was a papercrafting forum (cards, scrapbooking, handmade books etc) and most things were cheap to try!

Is this something we could take and adapt for our own purpose? What about different sections e.g. metal (e.g. silver, gold, copper etc), beading, mixed media, metal clay, or even just a design section (e.g a drawing/picture), and you could take part in whichever you wanted to? Different themes could involve using a set list of items, colour combinations, shape, or even a just a word e.g. flower (easy!), architecture, spin.....

I like the sound of that Nicci! Inspiration is a bit thin on the ground at the moment with me too, unlike the snow and it would be nice to be inspired by others and see what can be produced.
    Jules

I like that idea! How about something like each weekly/fortnight one of us could post some random words or pic or technique or something then the rest of us could post what we create from that inspiration.
    Not sure how we could organise it though

We could see how it went in the Show off your work Section?
    One thread for each theme & people can back post if they want
    to join in later
    How open a theme should we go with?
    If we leave it very open - e.g. nature more people can play
    if we have some thing funky it might inspire more e.g. Alice in Wonderland..
    Nic x
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Nic - Yes open themes would be good at first to get involvement. Hadn't thought to have a thread with a theme for everyone regardless of media - I suppose I was looking at the different type of work (silver, beads, metal clay etc) and making sure everyone could get involved. Makes more sense your way and will cut down on number of threads!!

Gemma - you mention weekly/fortnightly rather than monthly, I must admit that scares me a bit to think I have to do something in such short timescales, but is that what it should all be about? I KNOW I produce when there is a short timescale (i.e. I always leave things til the last minute) and if I'm supposed to be doing this as a business I should be doing it constantly

Any suggestions about how to select themes?
    - We could PM our ideas to one person who can draw one out of a hat at random
    - or all agree on the first four and take it in turns/ask for a volunteer to add the next one after that? Like a rolling list so you know what the next three are?
    - Or would you prefer to not know the theme until the start of the period we eventually decide on?

We could always have it more informal. The post could be left open and anyone could take part as and when they want. That way if you are short on inspiration then you can flick through the past 'challenges' and take part.

Was pondering about this in the small hours (I couldn't sleep). I have a challenge I'd like to set for myself. I could write it up and people could join in if they like. Its certainly not something I'll be able to complete quickly so wouldn't want to set a deadline.
    Then someone else wants to set themselves a challenge at any time and invite everyone else in.

Does this make any sense to anyone. I'm tired and having difficulties thinking straight!!

If the informal stuff takes off then maybe we could have more formal ones at a later date?

(I wrote weekly/fortnightly because I need a kick up the behind to do something!)

Informal open ended could is a good idea too, as, like you say it can be looked back on - any new posts will keep us looking!

(I wrote weekly/fortnightly because I need a kick up the behind to do something!)
    Ha ha I agree!!

(p.s. You might want to change the link to your blog - you've missed out the 's' in blogspot - it goes somewhere completely different!)

I like the idea of this, though I would struggle to do everyone, even if it is monthy at the moment.

The one thing I would ask for is some interesting/unusual themes - when I have wanted to join in with challenges before everyone seems to use 'seasons' or 'Christmas' etc. It would be nice to have something a little different.
    Lucinda

I like the idea of this, too, but I MUST get my database sorted, so will not be doing monthly challenges until that's done. I've been putting it off for 2 years and its reached the 'I don't know where anything is' stage. I'll definitely be up for it once that's sorted
    Jules

Just bumping this up so it doesn't get lost - shall we start with a theme Monday next week? And do one every two weeks?

I vote 'Valentines' for Monday 1st Feb then we will have two weeks til the day to do somehting.

Any theme suggestions for Monday 18th to throw into the hat?