Thread: Attaching end caps on memory wire with Beadfix

Default Attaching end caps on memory wire with Beadfix

I am trying to attach end caps onto memory wire using Beadfix as it was recommended. I tried Hypo cement before and am not keen on the glue made out of two components (can't remember name). Using glue is always a bit of a messy affair and after reading the safety hints on the package I was already worried how to use the glue - so I used latex gloves to protect my skin and toothpicks for application (the applicator is not very useful I find). I found that it is almost impossible to handle such a small item as an end cap when wearing the gloves and it was very fiddly - essentially a job for 2 pairs of hands! I left the items to dry for two days and 3 didn't really glue onto the wire. I was wondering if anyone can recommend a safe but easier way of attaching end caps without getting totally frustrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Helenka View Post
    I am trying to attach end caps onto memory wire using Beadfix as it was recommended. I tried Hypo cement before and am not keen on the glue made out of two components (can't remember name). Using glue is always a bit of a messy affair and after reading the safety hints on the package I was already worried how to use the glue - so I used latex gloves to protect my skin and toothpicks for application (the applicator is not very useful I find). I found that it is almost impossible to handle such a small item as an end cap when wearing the gloves and it was very fiddly - essentially a job for 2 pairs of hands! I left the items to dry for two days and 3 didn't really glue onto the wire. I was wondering if anyone can recommend a safe but easier way of attaching end caps without getting totally frustrated.
    Hi Helenka,

I've got memory wire and don't bother with end caps, just fold the end round my round nose pliers and put a nice bead on the end, so that is a feature. The reason I haven;'t bothered with beadcaps, is that I have heard elsewhere that they don't really work! Your glue won't be wasted, as you could use it for all sorts of other things jewellery related.

I hope that's useful for you.
    Last edited by Petal; 08-01-2010 at 04:23 PM. Reason: spelling !
    Jules

Thanks for that. Looks like I wasted a bit of money on end caps though. I think one problem is that the holes in those end caps are a tad bigger than the memory wire diameter. Any idea what else I could use them for?