Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What to use as cheaper alternative to

I bought a mini slow cooker from Ebay with high and low settings. It has a removable ceramic pot and works perfectly.

I have just started jewellery making and I wondered if a baby bottle warmer with a jam jar in would do the trick without getting too hot.

Baby bottle warmers work just fine. A lot of jewellers use them very successfully for smaller pieces.

I was the fool that bought a proper pickling unit Ah, I was young and reckless - it was my Georgie Best moment ;-)
    If I knew then what I know now I'd do the baby bottle warmer + jam jar - safe & cheap.
    J x

I've just bought a bottle warmer in the hope it will be warm enough...not had a chance to try it yet, unsure whether it makes much difference if I use a plastic versus glass container for the pickle? Any suggestions please?

I have found the blue pickle pot to be a bit of an expensive pain as it has shorted out three times so far and I am reluctant to effect repairs again. The unit is put together with sticky backed foil and bare wires and doesn't inspire confidence, especially for the price.

Bought a slow cooker from amazon for £7.85 with free delivery. It has a metal rim on the lid which I taped up with a few wraps of electricians tape, this also managed to effect quite a good seal and stops the contents from evaporating too quickly. It's also a good idea to tape over the area where the ceramic dish meets the meal container to avoid drips falling into the metal base and corroding. It does mean that you have to remove the tape when emptying and cleaning but is easily replaced.

Word of caution.....
    Important to only use the warming setting. I've taped over the dial so as to avoid knocking this onto the high setting as overheating the pickle is something to be very wary of.

Dave

Try doing a search for 'Rival Little Dipper' on EBay. These mini slow cookers turn up now & again. They hold probably a pint or so max, heat up quick & get quite hot. They have a ceramic liner (not removeable) & are ideal for pickle solutions.

There were plenty cheap on Amazon for a while but I can't see them now.

I use one of these with citric acid pickle solution & it works well.

Nick

I use a slow cooker, which I bought from Argos Christmas clearance sale for £7. I found it extremely useful and use it everyday. The pickle gets quite hot, but you mustn't forget to put it on, as it takes a while to warm up.

mine's a sauce warmer. it's like a mini slow cooker but there is no temp control, it gets to I'd guess about 60 degrees and stays there. the ceramic insert is black though, which means I don't know what colour the pickle is.