Thread: Which glue?

Question Which glue?

hi, i managed to get my tutor to hurredly show me how to start a string of beads and the knotting technique for between each but unfortunately as we squeezed this into the final lesson of the term, she didnt get a chance to show me how to finish off, i.e, after having come back through the last three beads, the final, knot, snip, and glue bit.

I have read a booklet about stringing and am not too worried about the knot, but there seems to be a lot of glues around but i cant make out which is best for applying to those last three knots, so i wondered if anyone could enlighten me, rather than having to wait till the course restarts in september to ask the tutor lol.

Any help to the newbie would be gratefully received. And with that i will write my next question in another topic :P

Thanks

Hmmm I was looking at hypo cement last night as it has a syringe type nozzle perfect for putting onto bead thread.

Also have you seen these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvZ1F...e=channel_page

I'm thinking about getting one of these as it would make the whole job alot easier (sorry if they already taught you to use one) and quicker and I wouldn't spend half of my time untying knots I'd messed up!

That video is wonderful and i am sorely tempted to get one of those knotters!!! I have seen Hypo Cement and i did wonder whether thats the one i need.
    Last edited by bustagasket; 26-07-2009 at 01:49 PM. Reason: spelling :P

thats neat ...

Default Glue and things ..

Yes, G S Hypo cement is a good one to use and it dries completely clear, too. When you use it, just squeeze a tiny amount of glue onto the pointy end bit and use that to put it onto your knot etc.

Also, contrary to the info in some books, don't cut the thread next to your knot. Just weave it in and out of your beads and the toggle/clasp (knotting every so often), until you use up most of the thread and then cut the end and feed that back into a bead to hide it. I usually knot and weave in and out of beads more often than I've read, just to be on the safe side.

I haven't tried the knotter thingie that's been mentioned, but I sometimes use a needle to wrap round the thread and pull it towards the bead, or whetever it needs to go.

Here's a link to the Beadalon website, that gives instructions on how to use the knotter - http://www.beadalon.com/knottingtools.asp it does look quite good though... ummm I might get one of those. There's also one available from Cooksons for £13.00.

Has anyone else any experience of using this knotter thingie?

Hope that helps?
    Jules x

thanks so much ladies

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    Yes, G S Hypo cement is a good one to use and it dries completely clear, too. When you use it, just squeeze a tiny amount of glue onto the pointy end bit and use that to put it onto your knot etc.

Also, contrary to the info in some books, don't cut the thread next to your knot. Just weave it in and out of your beads and the toggle/clasp (knotting every so often), until you use up most of the thread and then cut the end and feed that back into a bead to hide it. I usually knot and weave in and out of beads more often than I've read, just to be on the safe side.

I haven't tried the knotter thingie that's been mentioned, but I sometimes use a needle to wrap round the thread and pull it towards the bead, or whetever it needs to go.

Here's a link to the Beadalon website, that gives instructions on how to use the knotter - Beadalon - Knotting Tools it does look quite good though... ummm I might get one of those. There's also one available from Cooksons for £13.00.

Has anyone else any experience of using this knotter thingie?

Hope that helps?
    Jules x
    Hi Jules
    Have to admit I bought one of those knotters and found it difficult to use but now that I have seen the YouTube video and the beadalon it seems so much easier. The instructions with the thing werent very clear but the videos show it exactly so I would go with it. I have tried the needle method too and that works to an extent.
    Good luck with it.
    Regards Christine