Thread: Sweetpea chain maille problems

Default Sweetpea chain maille problems

*Hi,
    A Happy New Year to you all.

I'm new to this forum and also new to chain maille.. but I love it.

I'm trying my hand at the Sweetpea weave, but have only managed to get just 2 units completed in about 2 days!

I'm using 18g (1mm)* copper jump rings with an ID of 4.0. Researching around, I've found that the Sweetpea weave should work with an AR of between 4.0 and 4.2.

I have small hands but am having real problems bunching up the next 5 rings to create the 'eye', so that I can insert an open ring into it.*
    Does anyone know any tricks/techniques to perfecting this weave.

I'm following instructions from the Maille Artisans site.

Many thanks,

Vi

Hi Vi, Its a bit quiet at the moment, but I expect one of the maillers will be along with a sensible answer. I don't have the patience to even think about maille!
    Jane,
    (although I quite like Sunny!)

Miz George is our resident expert on maille, I'm sure she'll be along soon to offer advice.

Annie xXx

All things are possible - if you look at them the right way!

I think George is having problems with her computer, sorry i havent done this one but could you try binding them with some thin wire first to hold them together with some of the trickier ones i have use thin wire just catching them all till i can thread the next ring till i get used to the weave.

Sorry, not been around for a few days.

I do sweetpea in pretty much the same way as Sara's tutorial. If you're having problems with getting rings to stay in the right place, a pick, or large needle can be a help.

You say you're fairly new to maille - I don't know what weaves you've already tried, but sweetpea isn't one of the easiest to start with.

Hi George,

Thanks for the tip!

I liked the shape of the Sweetpea weave, and thought I'd have a go.

Over the holiday period, I 'bonded' with my jewellers saw, cutting nearly 400 rings and made short test chains in copper wire of Byzantine (2 connector), Rhino Snorting Drano, Barrel Weave and Box Chain.

Much as I love my saw, I'll be glad when my Koil Kutter arrives, hopefully end of this week.

Regards,

Vivienne

Hiya,
    Yeah, what MizGeorge said! I often use a straightened paperclip or a piece of wire to help line everything up.
    Its a beautiful weave, but certainly not the simplest one !

Good luck!

scooch.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverPlayer View Post
    Hi George,

Thanks for the tip!

I liked the shape of the Sweetpea weave, and thought I'd have a go.

Over the holiday period, I 'bonded' with my jewellers saw, cutting nearly 400 rings and made short test chains in copper wire of Byzantine (2 connector), Rhino Snorting Drano, Barrel Weave and Box Chain.

Much as I love my saw, I'll be glad when my Koil Kutter arrives, hopefully end of this week.

Regards,

Vivienne
    Like the idea of "bonding" with your saw - I nearly went mad trying to cut 18 smallish jump rings earlier this week and became intimately connected on more than one downstroke. Managed to keep the bleeding to a minimum. Until then I had thought of having a go at chaine maille. Would need to inform next of kin before i started, at this rate. Luckily I have a fairly common blood type.

I like the idea of the Koil Kutter - think I have read a discusson elsewhere in the forum but I think they are only available from the States and I wonder if getting spare blades is expensive?

Quote Originally Posted by Green Beetle View Post
    Like the idea of "bonding" with your saw - I nearly went mad trying to cut 18 smallish jump rings earlier this week and became intimately connected on more than one downstroke. Managed to keep the bleeding to a minimum. Until then I had thought of having a go at chaine maille. Would need to inform next of kin before i started, at this rate. Luckily I have a fairly common blood type.

I like the idea of the Koil Kutter - think I have read a discusson elsewhere in the forum but I think they are only available from the States and I wonder if getting spare blades is expensive?

I never managed to draw blood, but my finger tips did get really sore from winding off coils and then gripping them whilst sawing. Although in a perverse way, I do find the sawing process quite relaxing.

On a basic silversmithing course, I was taught to wrap the coil in low-tack masking tape and saw through that. I've found that this makes cutting the coil easier and the saw less likely to jump/skid (and cut me instead!). Also lubricating the saw blade before you start.. I use a small block of beeswax, but I'm sure there are other lubricants that are out there, that the clever folk on this forum could advise you about.

Currently, the Koil Kutter system is only available in the States and I ordered a replacement blade (just in case), which cost me $9.95.

It arrived yesterday so I hope to have a play tomorrow. :-)

Vi