Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: drat drat & double drat

Default drat drat & double drat

Hi all hope you all had a good crimbo

now I want to get into investment casting. but it seems i need a vacuum device is this really necessary ? could I just pour the silver into the loss wax mould, looking at building my own, don,t like the idea of a centrifuge, hot metal whizzing about.

any clues

thanks for reading
    "{Study the science of art. Study the art of science, realise that everything connects to everything else}" Da Vinci

Hi Vinnie and yes I had a good Christmas as I hope you did. I am sorry, but I am unable to give you any advise as it's out of my expertese, just hang on for a wee while and some of the others will surely be able to help you. Hope you have a great new year.
    Love and light,
    Maggie[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT

Hi Vinnie if you are only looking to cast 1 item at a time and just one offs then the delft clay is perfect but you couldent pour molten metal into a lost wax mould cos they are rubber! is that not worse than it whizzing around withheld in its own sancturary?

Isn't investment and lost wax casting the same thing?

Lost wax moulds are made out of the white plaster material (or investment) and that's what you burn/lose the wax out of in an oven/kiln?

You may wish to have a look at steam casting as an alternative if you're using investment. Much less expensive than a vacuum setup, but still capable of reasonable results.

Steam Casting 1

If you don't use a vacuum pump you end up with air bubbles in the mould and therefore pitting or cavities on your silver cast.

Tim McCreight book "fundamentals of metalsmithing has a really clear explanation of process and images which is worth a read.

Are you desperate to do this yourself? We have just tried wax casting in my college course and then sent the pieces off to be lost wax cast- it cost around £18 for two rings and a silver fish - metal costs included.

Default thank you

thank you all for your reply,s

being an engineer I wish to make my own machine ,out of an old pressure cooker and a vacuum pump,

just waiting for the right pump to come up ,

I talked with a guy who supplies investment powder, you rig up a locking type cooker to vacuum pump with a graphite seal . with a hole in the top that can be plugged the same size as a perforated casting flask. plug it with the flask inside with the wet investment plaster put the vacuum on, and suck out the air bubbles , burn out wax and heat mould with your crucible ( MAKING SURE ITS DRY ENOUGH ) remove the plug place hot mould in the hole with another graphite gasket turn on vacuum and pour molten metal. then run from shed with hair on fire LOL PPE essensual

will let you know how it go,s
    Last edited by vini the kiwi; 06-01-2010 at 11:13 AM.
    "{Study the science of art. Study the art of science, realise that everything connects to everything else}" Da Vinci

Default thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    You may wish to have a look at steam casting as an alternative if you're using investment. Much less expensive than a vacuum setup, but still capable of reasonable results.

Steam Casting 1
    thanks ps bond

intresting concept

It's just providing the force to get the metal into the mould is all. Delft clay uses gravity (and that's part of the reason for the huge sprues), vacuum casting uses air pressure, steam casting uses the pressure generated by the steam.

A vacuum does make debubbling the investment easier though... An old fridge compressor can do the job there - or a single-stage eductor (if you've got a compressor to drive it).

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Kaspers View Post
    We have just tried wax casting in my college course and then sent the pieces off to be lost wax cast- it cost around £18 for two rings and a silver fish - metal costs included.
    Interesting, do you know the name of the company your college used?