Thread: Engravers

Default Engravers

Hi there
    I'm thinking of investing in an engraver machine to engrave personalised items such as rings, bangles, charms, lighters, etc. I have seen the gravograph m20 and m20j, has anyone experienced them or could you recommend me one?
    Many thanks!
    Cx

QUOTE: "...has anyone experienced them or could you recommend me one?"

It does not look like it, does it? There is no information about you on the forum, always a bad start when trying to give advice. However I would say it is a big investment to get wrong, Cx.

When I approached the company directly some years back they would not even talk to me, but both Sutton and Walsh list these. My suggestion is that you take a day out in Birmingham and visit both showrooms by appointment, to make sure an expert is at hand and see what information you can gather. You will also need a hands on demonstration and remember a compressor will be added to the cost.

My Guess is that if you go for one of these you will settle for a used model, as for many people they will turn out to be a white elephant the cannot wait to re-sell. Kind regards, Dennis.

Please let us know how you get on. We obviously need your feedback.
    Last edited by Dennis; 05-01-2011 at 09:41 AM. Reason: REquest for Feedback.

Heugas, I'm not sure where you live but if you popped into Sutton Tools Birmingham Jewellery quarter They would be pleased to set up a demo for you ( they usually do for me and my students) or better still there's going to be demos by the ton at the Spring Fair NEC Brum, All the BIG guns will be there, that's if you can wait till Feb.

Regards Carlton
    Be careful what you wish for.......... It might come true

Quote Originally Posted by heugas View Post
    Hi there
    I'm thinking of investing in an engraver machine to engrave personalised items such as rings, bangles, charms, lighters, etc. I have seen the gravograph m20 and m20j, has anyone experienced them or could you recommend me one?
    Many thanks!
    Cx
    I'm currently speaking to Gravograph about these. They're not cheap - you also have to factor in the cost of the software so you can inport your own designs and logos, and the whole set up comes in at c£5-6k inc VAT. They have been very helpful though and pointed out that the M20 can also be converted easily to do the same as the M20 PIX with some extra software and engravers (but not the other way around -you can't convert a M20PIX to a normal engraver), so in effect you can have both a normal engraver and a photoengraver in one. As far as I am aware the Roland make doesn't do this.

They also said they will bring the machine to my home for a demo, so I can make sure it will do exactly what I need it to do before I shell out a substantial amount of money.

There are demos on youtube it doing the actual engraving part but it's more the software/design setup side of it I need to be sure about first.

Thank you all for your comments! I am based in London so a trip to Birmingham is not an option at the moment. I did call Gravograph but they didnt offer me the demo option though, just the half day training once you purchase the engraver.
    I think I will keep an eye on Ebay for an used one to start with.
    Thanks

The sales chap is bringing it for a demo on the 18th - I can give an update about it then. The only thing about the ebay ones that puts me off is that it's still a substantial financial layout but you wouldn't have the warranties and technical and servicing support. Also the ebay ones look like they don't come with the software which is still quite a lot of money (might be wrong on that one though)
    Last edited by Myosotis; 08-01-2011 at 10:47 AM.

Hi Myosotis
    Yes, I would love to hear your feedback if possible. Many thanks!
    Cx