Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi from North Devon

Default Hi from North Devon

I've been buying from Cookson for a while now but never noticed the forum before - has it just started

Its great to find a discussion group based in the UK; the American ones are friendly and welcoming but a lot of the chat is about stuff that's not available here, so well done Cookson.

Di

hello di & welcome

Smile Hi Di (Moon Cottage)

Hi Di, I think I saw somewhere that the forum has been running about 3 weeks - but I only found it last week. I think we are all finding it useful and great to be able to talk to people from the UK about UK problems!!

What sort of jewellery are you 'in to'? I'm in love with fine silver and make quite a lot of fine silver chains. I'm a 'dabbler' in pmc but still have an awful lot to learn...and today I have been playing with enamels - which I rediscovered last week - so I'm all excited about that!!
    Barbara

Hi Barbara

Silver wire and semi-precious stones but I'm a dabbler too and have a whole heap of polymer clay on my desk waiting to be turned into fine milliefiori beads

I've been flirting with the idea of PMC (and its variants) but I'm determined not to go gungho and waste a lot of money so I've booked myself a beginners class. Sadly, that isn't until October so I'm pretty sure I'll have weakened by then.

I'm saving up for the Mid-Cornwall place too - I'd love to do the PMC Certificate AND (sorry for shouting) the silversmithing AND everything else they offer. I live in North Devon so I could actually commute but the courses still cost a fortune don't they.

The latest bee in my bonnet is this microwave kiln thingie I've seen - anybody know if they work?

Oi - so much silver and so little time...

Di x

Hi Di
    Firstly
    to the forum
    The topic of Microwave Kilns comes up frequently on most of the forums I frequent (oh so many forums,lol)...
    Personally I'd agree with the statement below

To quote Tim McCreight (who wrote what is pretty much the metalsmiths bible)
    "One immediate problem is it is very difficult to know how long to run it. If you consider that most microwave popcorn packages say something like "Heat for one to six minutes, depending on your microwave," you get an idea of how different the units can be. If you are making a dozen identical pieces, and don'tmind melting or underfiring the first ten, you can determine the proper time for that unique shape and get those last two right. Not an ideal arrangement."

For someone new to silverclay, I'd suggest a good torch would be more reliable.
    PLUS once those hot metal gasses have vented through the top into the microwave itself, you shouldn't then use if for food...

The pros:
    1) Cheap initial outlay

The Cons:
    1) You contaminate your microwave
    2) It's not suitable for hollow forms
    3) No temperature control or way of viewing
    4) Can melt you pieces as each microwave is different

All in all I'd save up and buy something like the Ultralite Kiln
    or save even more and buy a small Paragon, Prometheus or Evenheat...

In the mean time good torch control would probably do for a lot of pieces
    Nic x
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Default Me too!!

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Cottage View Post
    Hi Barbara

I'm saving up for the Mid-Cornwall place too - I'd love to do the PMC Certificate AND (sorry for shouting) the silversmithing AND everything else they offer. I live in North Devon so I could actually commute but the courses still cost a fortune don't they.

Di x
    Ahh! A fellow dreamer... I have been saving up for 18 months so far to do the intensive Diploma course at Mid Cornwall School of Jewelelry...but unlike you I have to add train fares to and from Cheshire and accomodation for the best part of a fortnight to the total too!! As the cost seems to go up about £500 a year I am constantly playing catch up...but that is still my goal....one day...(sighs dreamily!!)

I've been trying to teach myself from books and have never actually seen a piece of metal clay work in the flesh (so to speak) except my own...so heaven only knows if I am doing it right...but I love playing anyway!!

I invested in a Prometheus kiln at the end of 2007 and love it...It is small and faithful...and doesn't seem to mind what I put in it!!
    Barbara

Thumbs up

Hello Di, welcome to the forum, where abouts in North Devon are you from? I was born in Torrington

Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte View Post
    Hello Di, welcome to the forum, where abouts in North Devon are you from? I was born in Torrington
    Just down the road in Barnstaple - but I community midwifed in Torrington for a while so know it quite well...

Barbara

Well, you can probably remove the accommodation from your requirements now - providing you don't mind sleeping in the workroom Can't help you with the rest of the cost tho - let's dream on together eh?

Nic

Thanks for that - I've got Tim McCreight's Hot and Cold Connections - so I know what you mean about him being, well, almost biblical :p

I totally get what he says about popcorn - I've never managed to get an edible bowl from that microwave stuff. 'nuff said.

Di x