Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The process of making sterling jewellery

Default The process of making jewellery

As a beginner, I have been reading a couple of books on the subject. What I would like to know is not only that I should do something a certain way, but why.

For example, I've heard of hard solder medium solder and easy solder in pallions, but have also had a go at using solder from a syringe - what would be the reasons for using either?

I'm probably asking the impossible, but it would be great if a flow-chart of ways of making jewellery existed somewhere, so that I can gain more of an understanding of the why's and wherefore's of each process. I've had a go at Googling it, but no luck....

Am I making sense, or shall I get my coat now..?
    Last edited by Petal; 17-12-2009 at 07:30 PM.
    Jules

Jules, stay away from that coat rack and stick by your workbench!!!

Unfortunately, I don't think you'll ever find the flowchart you're after as making jewellery is often down to basic methods mixed with experience of what works for you. Don't be afraid to experiment. As far as the solder question goes I think the use of pallions or paste via syringe is down to personal preference. I know I've stuck with paste as it's less faffing with cutting pallions and flux - but you still get the same end result of joining ends together.

Have you had a look at the Cookies knowledgbase at Jewellery Making - Articles, Datasheets Hints & Tips. I'm sure that will answer alot of your questions.

I'm sure you'll also find a lot of info on this forum too as there are some very friendly knowledgeable people on here.

Fi
    Fi Wilson
    Flickr

Just noticed that you're a senior member of the forum but you're saying you're a newbie to jewellery making. Hope what I've just said wasn't patronising . Forgive me if it was!!!!
    Fi Wilson
    Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by indigoblue View Post
    Just noticed that you're a senior member of the forum but you're saying you're a newbie to jewellery making. Hope what I've just said wasn't patronising . Forgive me if it was!!!!
    Good grief Fi, of course it wasn't patronising. You don't need to worry about offending me Fi. I'm only a senior member because I joined the Cookies forum in the early stages. I've just spent all my time stringing beads and ogling all the other things that the other, very talented, forumites make.

I decided after going to a workshop with Di at George's place, to finally give it a proper go, so that was why I posed the question about the why's and wherefore's! I also decided today that I am going to take all my jewellery pieces apart and start again - New Year - new start!
    Jules

I would use solder strip rather than syringe. Paste has it's durability problems and using solder strip is so much more versatile.

Julie

York School of Jewellery- classes and courses in jewellery

I use both, but strip more often.

I run it through the rolling mill so I can cut very small amounts, keep in a pot and use the size that fits the joint being made.
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moss View Post
    I would use solder strip rather than syringe. Paste has it's durability problems and using solder strip is so much more versatile.

Julie

Julie, what durability problems are you aware of using paste solder? I use both, depending on the application, but haven't come across any known problems which might suggest that paste is in any way less good.

Well i use only solder paste and i am totally unaware of durability problems

Maybe Julie is refering to the longevity of the paste rather than the results?
    I use paste all the time and my first tube is quite dry now....
    nicx
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

If it gets dry, you can always add a little meths (not water) if necessary though.

I do think the small tubes are better than the large - and easier to apply too, but I'm concerned that there is a perceived problem with durability - which would imply some longer-term problem?