Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re-stringing pearls

Default Re-stringing pearls

I was asked by an elderly lady today whether I would restring her pearls with a magnetic clasp. She was in a wheelchair and lives in a local home, which is probably why I said I'd look into it for her, as I'd normally say no. Has anyone restrung pearls as I need to give her a quote and don't know how long it might take?

I'm sure Charlotte restrung some pearls a while back, I'll have a look for her thread and put a link in when I find it. BTW, you need to check that she doesn't have a pacemaker fitted!

Here it is...

http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/got...ng-pearls.html
    Jules

Ooh, I hadn't thought of that!

Here's another link too...

http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/got...stringing.html

What hadn't you thought of, the pacemaker?
    Jules

That was a really useful link. Thanks. And yes, I meant I hadn't thought of the pacemaker.

I really enjoyed learning to string pearls. I would recommend getting the stringing tool, I think that cost me £10, you need a bit of superglue, the silks and the clasps, the gimp stuff leaves a really neat professional finish. Those links in the other thread are fab. I think I got what I could from cooksons and got the rest from ebay (what they didn't sell). The only things I struggled with was getting the right thickness of silk (to match the holes in the pearls) and getting the right sized gimp. I made what I had work though. Will be stringing again next week for the second time for a 50th birthday present for an auntie. Let us know if you decide to go for it! I found it was relatively cheap and now I have a load of stuff I can use in the future.

I used to string pearl necklaces all day long and I was just trying to work out how long roughly it would take...and I'm ashamed to say I don't really know
    And I must have strung hundreds! I would say maybe 30-45 mins, perhaps maybe a bit longer if it's the first one you've done. Get the gimp and bits that Charlotte mentioned as it will make finishing tidy - I didn't use a stringing tool though - just a thick needle, like a tapestry one, when knotting between each pearl,
    Last edited by Mila Jewellery; 12-12-2009 at 09:05 PM.

That's helpful info. I already have gimp so I'm halfway there.

Default probably not the advice your after...but

As a 'jeweller' I get asked to do quite a few things, some, such as hand engraving, or pave stone setting, which are out of my area, or at least, practiced skills.
    But, the customer is asking me, because they trust me, or have seen my work is quality.
    In these instances, i use my contacts, such as a proffessional pearl stringer, who does nothing but string pearls all day, and has tons of experience.
    Of course, as not just an artisan, but a bisinesswoman, your skill has to be finding one that is good, not just advertises for trade work!
    Sometimes, by subbing a job out, the person that came to you, and trusted you, has a top quality job, and just one, local point of contact..you.
    a win win situation.
    not the usual helpful answer, but something else to consider!

Before you start Carole, have you checked that they actually need restringing, or does she just want the clasp changed or converted?

I don't find pearl stringing difficult (I use tweezers or a needle, I can't get on with a tri-knotter at all), but I don't know that I'd want to have done it for a first time with someone else's pearls!

I think I'd reckon on about an hour altogether (including the unstringing to start with).