Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joining magnetic clasps to safety chain

Heighington, a village just out of Lincoln

Question Joining magnetic clasps to safety chain

Hello everyone, I would very much appreciate advice., I have soldered some ends onto a snake chain which is to be used for a bracelet, I have then soldered jump rings and a safety chain to one of the snake chain ends and have included in the mix a pair of magnetic catches either end of the safety chain. The problems now begin, I have soldered one of the jump rings that joins the snake end, magnetic catch and safety chain and the mag catch is no longer magnetic, also it is coloured due to the heat process and I am aware that I shouldn't place this in pickle, Fe etc. I am therefore reluctant to solder the second jump ring joining the bolt ring safety chain and magnetic catch. So the questions are 1/ how do I solder the jump rings and still keeping the magnetic catches magnetic 2/ how to remove the fire stain from the silver surrounding the magnetic catch?

From what I can remember of school Physics lessons...heating is one surefire way of removing magnetic properties....I think it is due to heat muddling up the position of the molecules which need to be lined up 'north/south' in order to become magnetic. Can you not attach the clasp with an open jumpring or split ring - particularly as you have a big problem with cleaning up the catch after soldering as well?

Red face

Did not remember the physics, 'twas a long time ago, will have to use open jump rings. I know it can be done because they are bought that way from Cooksons, guess it is beyound the abilities of an inexperienced newbie, thinking would a laser weld on the jump ring work?

You can't solder near a magnetic catch - as B says, the heat will destroy the magnetic properties. I don't know if protection paste will work, but I don't think I'd risk it myself.

They seem to work fine with a strong jump ring.

You can also use the magnet and tube system, which is attached using a wrapped loop rather than a ring, but I've not seen these for sale in the UK yet.

Thumbs up

The more I think about it the more I think a laser weld would do it, the magnet and chain can be held in the hand as the weld is done mm away from the fingers, the biggest problem is trying not to hit your fingers with the laser, if this fails courtesy of the large electrical current needed (Hook's law I think) I will go back to the jump rings being open. I am going to a workshop on tuesday where they have a laser and will take further advice there too, thanks for the advice and reminder regarding physics lessons, I am a dullard at times.

Quote Originally Posted by bruggen View Post
    I am a dullard at times.
    Don't worry about it...you are in good company!! Why do you think they gave us this smilie.. ?? It is probably one of the most used too!!

I should imaging that somewhere in the world they must sell the magnets and the necessary 'glue' to construct your own magnetic clasps..in which case you can do all the soldering before adding the magnets...but I've not seen them anywhere. I might do some researching over Christmas!!

Quote Originally Posted by bruggen View Post
    I am a dullard at times.
    LOL, you aren't the first person on this forum who wished they'd listened more in physics lessons at school
    Di x

B - there are the magnetic clasps designed to use with metal clay - MetalClay Supply - Everything Metal Clay & Much More!

The David Scott Plumlee solution uses very attractive magnets, but they're nickel plated, so not suitable for use here.

Default stroke with magnet

hi ho

you could try holding a strong magnet and stroking the magnetic part of the clasp in a single direction, it may re polarize the iron particles

vini
    "{Study the science of art. Study the art of science, realise that everything connects to everything else}" Da Vinci

I mentioned this on the wish list yonks ago, to have the magnets come seperate to be put into the clasp after soldering. The get round I use are the self loking jump ring things that....Cooksons don't sell.
    A certain metals company stocks them.They are called Link Lock.
    If I am allowed to put a link (link...geddit?) here let me know.
    G