Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Big Project Help! Necklace Settings and Stones

Default First Big Project Help! Necklace Settings and Stones

Hi, I am new and have been making fashion and silver jewellery at home from scrap for years for myself and friends. More recently I stated making it with more refined materials, as birthday presents, like the pearl necklace that I made for a friend 21st.

Now it is my Mums birthday and I wanted to take on the biggest project yet by making her an 18ct gem studded necklace with green sapphires and pink rubies. I have hit some problems though.

First off, to make the necklace I need setting or collets that are inter- connectable either because they have a free area so I can manipulate them by connecting them with rings or those that have the extra loops so they are meant for connection. Does anyone know where I can get them? I have seen some on an American website but I don’t know if they are reliable.

Also the stone. I read that now a days nearly all Sapphires and Rubies now a days have been heat treated, does that make them loose their value. Also I know some places to get the stones in the UK but I don’t think I will have time to go and get them, especially without my Mum finding out. I found a website in Thailand that gets their stone from all over the world. It looks great, and prices seem kind of accurate. I was not expecting the greatest quality but could someone tell me if they are reliable or at least that they sell real gemstones. They are based in Thailand. The website is gemselect.com

Can anyone help?

You know what?

Spammers almost always do better if they can spell properly

Dear sir/ madam

A am 21 years old and have long suffered from spelling difficulties, not that that is any of you business but there are people in this world who have learning difficulties. i posted on this forum at the suggestion of Anna Marie at Cookson gold who told me I would get a professional opinion on how to make my mother necklace as she could not find any products that would help me. I have waited four day for help when her birthday is in a weak and all I get is an accusation of spamming. What kind of forum is this if someone can’t ask the authenticity of a website? This is the advice section were people ask for help from experienced people. No one want to spend all that money an effort on something and find out that they gave there mother of all people a fake birthday present.

Bellow is the email if you don’t believe me. I am sorry if this sound rude but you have made me so angry with this accusation.

Dear ---

I am afraid that I do not think we can help you anymore. We do not stock
    the type of bezel you are looking for.

Can I also direct you to our forum on our website, cooksongold.com.
    There you can post a question and hopefully you will receive a response
    from qualified jewellers.

I am sorry that I can not help you any further.

Kind Regards

Ann Marie
    Birmingham Sales

I would appreciate it if someone with genuine knowledge of jewellery making would help me with my question please, as I franticly researching, but running out of time.

I think that the suggestion of spamming may have been due to the link to the Thai gem company - it's quite a common tactic on many fora. But I'm sure George can say why!

I'm struggling slightly to visualise what you mean - any chance of a sketch or something to go on? I'm not sure that it's my area, but there are others here who will be more able to provide input.

You're perhaps a bit short of time to tackle something of any magnitude, particularly if it's a new venture. But hey, a little time pressure can be useful once in a while!

As far as gem quality goes - yes, heat treating is very common; it's one way of getting more visually appealing material. Just so long as the stuff isn't sold as untreated...

Thank you, I am going to try and up load my sketch. I know it is a big task, but if I can do it the way that I imagine, by linking up the collets with rings then as long as I have about two solid days locked in my room I think I might be ok. The reason that I asked about the website is because they sell stone I lots which are the same size, which I need for my design and thought it would be difficult to get. I certainly did not want to buy glass. I did not think I was doing anything wrong. I am sorry if this was offensive in any way.

I think your chances of getting stones in time from overseas are pretty slim...

How fixed are your ideas on your design? It may be wise to sacrifice some of the more problematic areas for something that is *mostly* right, but acheivable in time. Artistic compromise

I see Cooksons sell collets without attached rings - can you solder?

Hear is my design, it took me a whole day of researching Vogue and Elle magazines, and fashion website for inspiration, until I finally found the colours in this flower my mum showed me that was growing in the garden. The first row is white and black pearls (the green type) with gold spacers (I can do this bit). The next row are 4mm square green sapphires, this is the hard bit. I need the collets I put the stone in to have loops or at least somewhere that I can thread a ring in to so I can connect then to the above sting and the round beads and ruby droplets, as well as to each other to form a chain like shape.

Hope this is clear; the drawing is not exactly professional.
    Last edited by amature jewelry maker; 04-09-2009 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    I think your chances of getting stones in time from overseas are pretty slim...

How fixed are your ideas on your design? It may be wise to sacrifice some of the more problematic areas for something that is *mostly* right, but acheivable in time. Artistic compromise

I see Cooksons sell collets without attached rings - can you solder?
    I have also been leaning in this direction. Yesterday my brother suggested that I buy a chain and solder the collets to it. He says you can get a soldering machine for £20 from B&Q. So maybe, but I was not sure about whether I have to get a special type of solder for gold. Also I don’t know how the necklace will fall, and the last time I soldered anything was in my DT class in year 9. The main thing to me is the colour and droplets, that’s the bit I love. I have been thinking I could find some cluster pendants settings and string those together, but the variety in this country, at least those that I can find is little, everything seems to be in America. The only place I found them in the UK that does these is Euro findings; and the ones that they do are kind of small, and simple uniform designs. If you can suggest somewhere that would be a great help.

Or bracelet setting, anyone know where I can get them?