Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First Big Project Help! Necklace Settings and Stones

Thanks, caroleallen, I don’t take any offence, I have always had the tendency of getting in way over my head. I don’t think I am going to solder. It will take too long to do each collet, even if I new how to do it, from what I understand. I am working on some alternative designs based on what I found on the two websites that you guys have given me. So what I am making is ever changing, but hopefully it will still be special.

I am holding out for tomorrow for any 18ct collets, otherwise I will just use the ones in 9.

And thanks agent44, whatever I make I will definitely post picks, you guys have been such as great help to me. The panicky felling I have had for the last few days is slowly ebbing away as I finally find some control over this project, whatever it may be.

Default Stop!!

No you don't need a soldering iron you need a proper torch and proper soldering set up.
    I'm worried you haven't done any soldering, and you plan to start with a project that folks with experience would class as "ambitious".

Looking at your design the components could easily cost over £1000 of metals and materials
    e.g. 30 x £20 per 18ct setting = £600 +vat
    30 x matched 4mm princess cut emeralds @ £10 each (conservative) - £300
    Plus soldering set up, pearls, gold solder etc etc etc
    and you only have a "few days" to complete the project.

Quote Originally Posted by amature jewelry maker View Post
    when she buys gold for herself she would never buy 9ct. She dabble in the jewellery business her self you see, and now when ever she get jewellery, she get it made from her jeweller. So I wanted to meet her standards of jewellery..
    My intention is not to pour water over your enthusiasm, but it would be terrible for you to spend all that cash
    and then not be happy with the result.

My suggestion (as someone who HAS had some soldering experience and been on plenty of courses)
    would be you go and spend the £500 on a nice present then invest £250 on a soldering course.
    You could then plan the design according to your own ability and experiance + perhaps plan for Christmas....

Nicola x
    Last edited by MuranoSilver; 28-07-2009 at 07:57 PM.
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Quote Originally Posted by amature jewelry maker View Post
    Thanks, caroleallen, I don’t take any offence, I have always had the tendency of getting in way over my head. I don’t think I am going to solder. It will take too long to do each collet, even if I new how to do it, from what I understand. I am working on some alternative designs based on what I found on the two websites that you guys have given me. So what I am making is ever changing, but hopefully it will still be special.

I am holding out for tomorrow for any 18ct collets, otherwise I will just use the ones in 9.

And thanks agent44, whatever I make I will definitely post picks, you guys have been such as great help to me. The panicky felling I have had for the last few days is slowly ebbing away as I finally find some control over this project, whatever it may be.
    Sorry it looks like while I was working out the same thing as caroleallen you came to the same conclusion - phew
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Thank you for the work out MuranoSilver, I always new it was going to be expensive. Anyway soldering is of the list now. I am just painting up some alternative design. The calculating will come after. But I have my brother and dad for donations. They are good support. My dad especially likes it because he knows that I am developing a skill. I know I should take a course, and eventually will. But that is way I was looking for the collets, trying to find an easy way of doing something potentially difficult, as I new I would not really have the knowledge to tackle that. Even when I was getting desperate, I wanted to use glue.

Sounds like you are doing the right thing adapting your design

Good luck with it - look forward to hearing and seeing how it goes!

Wow looks like you got some good advice there. I WAS getting worried for you too, but didn't know how to help other than saying 'don't do it' but figured that might not be what you wanted to hear!