Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First Big Project Help! Necklace Settings and Stones

That does look very involved... Anything beady is outside my experience, but there's a couple of bits I can comment on.

You've got square collets for the sapphires; have you tried setting square stones before? If it was me, I'd either source some square tubing, cut it to lengths & solder jump rings on or make up a master & have it cast - assuming you can't find suitable settings. But that all takes time (and yes, soldering with the correct gold solder for the grade of gold!).

Could you, for example, substitute gemstone beads for the settings?

Apologies Amature, your post was almost identical to those made regularly by Far Eastern gem wholesalers looking for traffic - the American spelling of 'Jewelry' made it seem even more so.

As to your problem, I think you may be asking a lot of yourself in making this if you haven't done any gem setting (especially square stones) or soldering before. Particularly in such an expensive metal. You would also need to invest in a soldering setup (you can't use a DIY store soldering iron but would need at the very least a handheld torch) and the correct solder for your gold. Not to mention the learning curve.

Have you considered adapting the design to a wired and strung beaded version? Gold filled wire can look gorgeous, and swarovski crystals would allow you the colour choice you like without the risk of buying gemstones sight unseen, which can be risky, especially from overseas. You could then give yourself some time to make the 'real' version once you've learned all you want to.

Again, apologies for my wrong assumption.

Could you perhaps buy a gold chain and hang beads from it. If you've never soldered before, I really wouldn't recommend you start with gold. Soldering precious metals requires special equipment - torch, heat pad, flux, solder, pickle. Have a look on u-tube at tutorials on soldering. It's not as easy as it looks. Kernowcraft have some snap fittings in silver and gold which you may like.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    Could you perhaps buy a gold chain and hang beads from it. If you've never soldered before, I really wouldn't recommend you start with gold. Soldering precious metals requires special equipment - torch, heat pad, flux, solder, pickle. Have a look on u-tube at tutorials on soldering. It's not as easy as it looks. Kernowcraft have some snap fittings in silver and gold which you may like.
    Wow, this site is great, but they only do 9 carat gold. I think I will ring them and see if they do 18 caret gold in the morning. I know my mum will love anything that I give her, because as a teenager I have given her 9ct gold and she would wear it. But when she buys gold for herself she would never buy 9ct. She dabble in the jewellery business her self you see, and now when ever she get jewellery, she get it made from her jeweller. So I wanted to meet her standards of jewellery. If anyone finds any others then please let me know, or I will have to make her a different necklace, maybe gold and turquoise or lepis, she love all stones.
    Last edited by amature jewelry maker; 28-07-2009 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Apologies Amature, your post was almost identical to those made regularly by Far Eastern gem wholesalers looking for traffic - the American spelling of 'Jewelry' made it seem even more so.

As to your problem, I think you may be asking a lot of yourself in making this if you haven't done any gem setting (especially square stones) or soldering before. Particularly in such an expensive metal. You would also need to invest in a soldering setup (you can't use a DIY store soldering iron but would need at the very least a handheld torch) and the correct solder for your gold. Not to mention the learning curve.

Have you considered adapting the design to a wired and strung beaded version? Gold filled wire can look gorgeous, and swarovski crystals would allow you the colour choice you like without the risk of buying gemstones sight unseen, which can be risky, especially from overseas. You could then give yourself some time to make the 'real' version once you've learned all you want to.

Again, apologies for my wrong assumption.
    Oh, and thank you mizgeorge, for your apology and the suggestions. I will think about the mock up. I am sorry if I was a little aggressive about the accusation. It was just after days of fretting over how to approach this I did not expect that response and got a little angry. I can see how it can be seen in that way and understand the mistake.

P.S, Thanks to all of you for your help so far

Sorry for the extra question but are the stone on the Kernowcraft website any good caroleallen? Also does anyone know how soldering past works? Do yo need a soldering iron?
    Last edited by amature jewelry maker; 28-07-2009 at 06:29 PM.

I've used Kernowcraft before and would recommend them. I have also recently bought gemstones from the curious gem http://thecuriousgem.co.uk/ who were very good.

Sorry i can't really help you with the other bits though - your project is way out of my league!

Quote Originally Posted by AlexandraBuckle View Post
    I've used Kernowcraft before and would recommend them. I have also recently bought gemstones from the curious gem http://thecuriousgem.co.uk/ who were very good.

Sorry i can't really help you with the other bits though - your project is way out of my league!
    thanks, there are so many good stones on there

Curious Gem is great, as is Kernowcraft. Reading through what you were after I was going to suggest them. Both offer quick and good service too.

You're really going for it aren't you - what a lucky mum! I hope it all goes to plan - and I am sure people here will be happy to help you along the way if you need it

I hope you will show us all the finished product when it's done!

Quote Originally Posted by amature jewelry maker View Post
    Sorry for the extra question but are the stone on the Kernowcraft website any good caroleallen? Also does anyone know how soldering past works? Do yo need a soldering iron?
    Do you mean soldering paste? If so, it works in much the same way as normal solder. You don't use a soldering iron but a soldering torch which is entirely different.

I don't mean to offend you, but I really think you need to master the basics before you start making anything so advanced, particularly if you plan to use gold which is hideously expensive. If you start evening classes now, by your Mum's next birthday you may be able to tackle this project.