Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help!

Question Help!

As I'm sure you all know I am fairly new to all this and lapping up all your advice. I'm in need of more please!

At the mo I'm just playing about really and seeing what happens. I'm not desiging properly. The pic shows the beginning of a pendant I hope to give to a celtic and amethyst loving friend of mine for people. I was inspired by a pic in a great book (celtic art: the methods of construction by George Bain). Its a drawing book not jewellery but is great for inspiration. The knotwork was tough to do (I used 2mm wire) but I'm quite pleased with the results.

I want to add some amethyst into the larger loop. I tried bezel setting a facetted stone but did a really bad job. When hunting around for any other amethyst I came across some beads. I thought it would be nice to add the bead instead. The idea is to have a piece of wire or something that the bead can sit on but still move as a kinetic touch. I tried soldering some wire with the bead on it across the gap. This resulted in quite a few broken and discoloured beads from the heat of the torch. After getting hit in the face with a shard of hot amethyst I gave up on that plan.

Should I give up and buy a cabachon instead or can anyone help?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails celtic.jpg  

Yeah, heating gemstones isn't a very good idea which is a pain in the bum really!

If I understand what you want to do correctly then an idea would be to solder one end of the wire to the pendant and hold the bead in place using a nailhead rivet. Using a light hammer carefully flatten off the free end of the wire, making sure you dont smash your bead. There's a useful bit on this in Tim McReight Complete Metalsmith if you have it.
    Lucinda

Oooh thanks Lucinda. I do have that book and have the page in front of me now. I may be able to manage that....

celtic art: the methods of construction by George Bain. Its a drawing book
    I've had this book for years and its wonderful, if a tad complex
    Di x

I've only used it to look at the pretty pics. Haven't tried drawing from it yet. I agree its quite complex. I wish I knew what all the numbers are about (and I'm a numbers person!)
    Last edited by Gemma; 10-12-2009 at 04:07 PM.

I've got one of the Aidan Meehan books - and I don't like it all that much, it's somewhat formulaic. Does the Bain book go much beyond using a simple grid?

It doesn't really use grids, more points of various spacing. Amazon have a search inside feature but it doesn't show any of the construction pages but does have the contents so you can see what it covers. LINK

still very formulaic tho Peter. If you want to borrow it to have a squiz, PM me.
    Di x

Actually it might be better to borrow my copy as I'm Southampton and you're Southamptonish!!

I made a real mess of trying to rivet. The hole I tried to drill through was too big for the 2mm wire.

I'll have a go at adding a cabochon when the ones I've just ordered arrive unless anyone has any bright (and simple) ideas...?

I know this might sound a bit obvious, but why not just wire wrap it? Three or four turns on each side of the frame with the bead strung between could look really nice - and would cover any holes you've made! Wrapping can look great with heavier gauges as well as the fine stuff you normally associated with the technique.