Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doming block - are these marks normal

Question Doming block - are these marks normal

I bought this doming block and have some very small 'nicks' on it. This is the second punch I've bought (from different people) and I'm beginning to think I've turned into an obsessive nutter

Attachment 872

In your honest opinions guys, are these 'nicks' anything to worry about, or should I send this one back too???
    Jules

wow i havent even taken a close look at mine :-s
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

I would try it out out- looking at it I reckon you should be OK, but you'll only know once you give it a go
    Lucinda

i would've thought i would be ok, as i have only got a wooden doming block and it has loads of marks on it but it doesn't seem to make any difference to my work x
    Bridget x x

Never be afraid to try something new,remember amateurs built the Ark,
    professionals built the Titanic!!!

http://www.rusticcharmjewellery.co.uk

I wouldn't worry about them at all Jules. Give the edges a rub over with your micromesh to make sure nothing's extending into the doming area and you'll be fine. It's worth giving the punches a polish too.

You only ever dome right to the top of the cup when you're making fully spherical beads, and I can't imagine making one that size! You always move round with both the punch and the sheet so there isn't any real risk of marking.

Remember, tools are for using, and as such they do get bashed about a bit, so there's little point in trying to keep anything totally pristine

Wink Thanks guys ... I've got another 2 questions now

Aw thanks so much guys and especially George for the tip with using Micromesh. I was having an 'over fussy' moment there and thought the marks meant that, if I wanted to produce a lovely lentil bead, it might make soldering them a bit more difficult.

Mind you, I've got to learn how to do small ones first... something good to look forward to now! Yipee I can get excited now, cos I don't have to send my DB back !!!! My torch came today too!

While I'm on, if I use my cutting disc to cut some silver circles and want to hang it, do I just use a normal drill bit to make a small hole for this, or a new one that hasn't been used for drilling anything else before? Plus, do I have to pickle it to work harden, or can I just hammer it lightly?

Jules

It seems Micromesh will do just about anything

As far as drill bits go, any one that's suitable fro drilling metal should be ok, it doesn't matter if it's been used, well unless there is something wrong with it I suppose!

Pickle doesn't work harden metal, but hammering and working the metal will.
    Lucinda

Oh thanks for the info on drilling Lucinda, I'll give that a go at that tomorrow. Yes, its amazing the magical properties of Micromesh, isnt it! I find it much easier to use than wet and dry papers, which all seem like a lot more hard work.
    Jules

Remember to make a dent with a centre punch (or old nail) before you start drilling - otherwise you'll skate all over the place! If you're going to make a lentil, make sure there's a hole somewhere (either in one of the edges or the centre of at least one of the discs) so it doesn't explode when you solder it.

Don't forget that most sheet is not annealed when you buy it, and is much easier to cut if you anneal it first.

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    If you're going to make a lentil, make sure there's a hole somewhere (either in one of the edges or the centre of at least one of the discs) so it doesn't explode when you solder it.
    quoting this for emphasis! one time i forgot to do this and the top half flew off with such a bloody bang, i nearly widdled myself!

and to this day, i have NEVER found that half that blew off, even through a complete workshop reorganization. it's either embedded in the ceiling or in me somewhere.
    ⑨⑨⑨ eye'm the strongest! ⑨⑨⑨

uʍop əpısdn sı ɹoʇıuoɯ ɹnoʎ 'sıɥʇ pɐəɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı