Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Today I have mostly been making

Thumbs up

Those are really beautiful, what a great idea! I always forget to put design into my clasps!

They look fantastic George! I like the textured one too...is it harder to set stones on a textured surface??

And since you are all talking disc cutting and doming...all tools I don't have - what do you all think of this one from Cooksons?? Deluxe Disc & Doming Set - Cooksongold.com ?? Has anyone done any cones with a set like this?? I have been looking and lusting after it for a while now but wonder how well it works... Any thoughts??

These ones are an inch across. I can go up to 1 1/4" with the new cutter.

B, I'll be honest, I truly think you get what you pay for with most tools, and I just think this one's too cheap to be really good. I've gone through three cheaper cutters in the last couple of years, and even brand new, none of them was a patch on the new one. I'm also generally suspicious of anything that's supposed to do more than one thing! I like being able to choose how far to dome discs so they fit perfectly to whatever they're being used for. The cones are interesting, but I can't for the life of me work out what they'd be any use for!

As for setting stones on a textured surface, it's horrible. Which is why I leave the bit where it's going to be set untextured! I actually pop the disc on the wrong end of a small doming punch and flatten off the area where the bezel's going to be seated to make sure it's a nice flush fit, then use a sharpie to mark that spot, and try not to go over that line when I texture. Not such a problem with rolled textures, I seem to be able to get away with just filing them down a bit.

They are both really scrumptious George, it's such an interesting way to use cabs and makes a really stunning feature.

Also very covetous of your new toy, lucky you.

L xx

Quote Originally Posted by Solunar Silver Studio View Post
    They look fantastic George! I like the textured one too...is it harder to set stones on a textured surface??

And since you are all talking disc cutting and doming...all tools I don't have - what do you all think of this one from Cooksons?? Deluxe Disc & Doming Set - Cooksongold.com ?? Has anyone done any cones with a set like this?? I have been looking and lusting after it for a while now but wonder how well it works... Any thoughts??
    B - I kind of have this set!! My husband has bought it for me for Christmas, it is in a box in the cupboard under the stairs, next to the hoover !! Like I would never find it !! Dohh !! I'll let you know what it is like on Boxing Day.

Lisa - I can guarantee that if my hubby hid something anywhere near the hoover I would NEVER find it!

Is it bad form to ask for the name of your lustful tool supplier?

I'm the mug that's got that set on order, Barbara. I was planning on trying it out over Christmas. I did think it sounded too good to be true but thought it would do for a start.

Gorgeous clasps George

Oh, I didn't mean it to come across like that! My first cutter set was cheaper than that and did me proud - I just cut a lot of discs, and I wore it, and the next two, out!

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Lisa - I can guarantee that if my hubby hid something anywhere near the hoover I would NEVER find it!

i never bother to look for anythink my Oh hides as he never buys me anythink lol does that make sense ..........nope ah well

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    B, I'll be honest, I truly think you get what you pay for with most tools, and I just think this one's too cheap to be really good. I've gone through three cheaper cutters in the last couple of years, and even brand new, none of them was a patch on the new one. I'm also generally suspicious of anything that's supposed to do more than one thing! I like being able to choose how far to dome discs so they fit perfectly to whatever they're being used for. The cones are interesting, but I can't for the life of me work out what they'd be any use for!
    I had a similar discussion with someone from Cookies the other day when I was thinking of ordering the same item. I couldn't understand how it worked and thought in the end that buying the disc cutter alone was the best idea for me. Can't wait to get cutting, now its arrived

Thanks SO much George for all your really useful information and recommendations, where would we be without you.
    Jules