Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pickling times

Default pickling times

Hey!
    I read a few posts about pickling and how people were afraid that the solder would come apart, dissolve or something...
    Would anyone be able to tell me what kind of time they mean by "too long in the pickle". Is it two days, or a week? I don't hesitate to leave my work in the pickle for 2 days. Should I not?
    Also, I read that after soldering the piece should go in the pickle without waiting or the oxide could "settle" in the metal. But I sometimes file and sand my piece first and then leave it for the night in the pickle. Is it a mistake?

Thank you so much!

I don't leave my silver in the pickle too long - pop it in, wander off to do something else and then retrieve - it's not usually more than an hour or so, but I don't know if it harms the metal if it's in overnight or longer.

If you pop the metal into the pickle right after soldering, you may find you need to do less sanding and polishing - the pickle will remove the firestain so you have a better view of what finishing it needs.
    Kym

I'm hoping for world peace but I'd also like something shiny as well...

www.kymbigwood.com

Smile

It doesnt really matter how long you leave work in the pickle a few minutes or hour or so really depends how much fire you use,I agree with the last post your better off putting the piece in the pickle before you start filling or buffing it,makes less work of it.Personally i tend to put my work in the pickle for a few minutes,especially if your working with silver.

Ok we might be using the wrong concentration then...coz a few minutes does nothing at all!
    Thanks!

I rarely leave anything for more than about 10 minutes - I use alum as a pickle, and keep it fairly warm (which makes a huge difference).

OK I think i see what the problem is: we leave the pickle pyrex bowl in the kitchen... and it's COLD!
    One morning a couple of weeks ago when we got up the pickle had actually FROZEN (though the temperature was above 0 outside)! That's the Scottish North Coast for you...

I'm putting it on top of the fire for 5 minutes and I'll you know!

we reuse our pickle (water and crystals in pyrex bowl), and we change it every few weeks (we don't use it that much.)

Are we being ridiculously eco-friendly? Should we use new solution every time with hot water?
    That sure would speed things up!

In French we have a saying that goes "I'll go to sleep a less dumb person tonight".

no need for a new solution. I have found you get some blackening if you it leave it in too long. A hotplate under the pyrex bowl will do the job. Or I have a slow cooker from Argos (under £20). Solution goes a bluish colour when spent.
    Em
    x

There is no need to use new pickle everytime, water will evaporate but the chemical does not so you can just top it up with water as JJ says from the kettle once pickle turns a greeney blue colour then is the time to change but even then it will still clean if hot, just takes longer

so if the solution is blue, replace? And that's where the blacking comes from...

Thanks so much guys, sorry for needing such basic help