Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tumbler Problem

Default Tumbler Problem

I've had this problem for a couple of months. The tumbler doesn't work when laid flat, only when propped up on one side - see piccies.
    The motor's working fine and both the spindles/shafts move freely. It's always tricky getting the lid off so I think the barrel might be slightly misshapen......although I can't see anything.

I'll get a replacement barrel in the new year but I wondered if anyone else had experienced this and if it is a common problem?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Barrel 2.jpg   Barrel.jpg  

What drives the barrel underneath - is it connecting with the barrel properly?

Jason, it was a Christmas prezzie from Richard last year and I think it's just out of warranty.

Geti, the barrel sits on two parallel metal shafts. The driver shaft is powered by the motor which pushes the barrel round, which then turns the idler shaft. The barrel seems to be sitting fine and the driver shafts turns........but it doesn't turn the barrel.

These things are supposed to be capable of running for 24 hours a day so I'm definitely going to query it when Richard finds his receipt.

Hi Lesley are you pushing the lid right down sometimes its sits just above where its supposed to be and you have to force it down. The Lids are supposed to be a tight fit use the washer at the top to flick it off

Quote Originally Posted by geti-titanium View Post
    sounds like it's knackered then!
    Is that your professional opinion.

Jo, the lid is definitley on tight enough.

Thanks for the link, Jason. I'm up for a fight but I've been looking through Richard's credit card statements (with his permission) and I can't find any evidence that he actually bought it!

Is that your professional opinion.
    Well it would be nice to give it a damn good stripping down and a thorough examination and then by the time I'd finished with it, it definitely would be knackered! (this is where Jason takes over)

I have an old Beech tumbler which I use when I have a big lot to do. Shortly after I got it (second hand) I had the same problems as you and discovered that this was down to the rubber sleeve covering the drive rod having worn down or got brittle and shiny from use so was not producing enough friction with the barrel to make it turn. I tried sand papering the sleelves and winding elastic bands round the barrel..both of which worked for a while but eventually changed the sleeves on the drive rod...

...for this I improvised and used one of the foam rubber outers found on those bendy wire curler thingies....and I got 8 of these for a pound in Poundland!! So that should keep me going for a few years!!! Don't know if that link is showing or not...cos it's not on my computer!!!
    Last edited by Solunar Silver Studio; 08-12-2009 at 01:20 PM.

Lesley, have you oiled the ends of the rollers (and then cleaned them along their length carefully)? Sometimes, they appear to be turning, but haven't the 'strength' to turn them with a full barrel.

Will it turn if you give it a bit of a nudge? You might also check if there's anything greasy on the barrel - it needs to be really dry or the rollers can't grip properly.

Thanks, Barbara.
    By drive rod I presume you mean what Lortone call shafts. There are no rubber sleeves on this model. The barrel sits on the bare metal shafts.