Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tumbler Problem

Perhaps you need to 'roughen up' the surface of your barrel a bit then...does it look a bit shiny and polished looking??

George, I oil the shaft bearings every month. I really take care of it - it's my baby. I'll try cleaning them along the lengths.
    The barrel is dry and it doesn't go even if I nudge it.

Quote Originally Posted by Solunar Silver Studio View Post
    Perhaps you need to 'roughen up' the surface of your barrel a bit then...does it look a bit shiny and polished looking??
    The barrel is rubber and already has a patterned texture on it - I presume for gripping.

Shafts have been cleaned. No joy. If I nudge it it goes about a quarter turn and then stops.

Found the invoice - 20/11/08. I've emailed the retailer so I won't try any "modifications" until I've heard from them.

Good luck Lesley xx

Fingers crossed that they are helpful for you, i know it works if propped up, but i would get a bit peeved if i had to do that too. Mine works fine, although i have to tap the casing about when i first start it as i get an annoying rattle otherwise lol.
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

I wonder if the belt needs replacing or adjusting. They're very cheap, and are considered consumables. I've not had to replace mine yet, but I know someone who's on his third belt in only a couple of years' use.

Quote Originally Posted by bustagasket View Post
    Fingers crossed that they are helpful for you, i know it works if propped up, but i would get a bit peeved if i had to do that too. Mine works fine, although i have to tap the casing about when i first start it as i get an annoying rattle otherwise lol.
    I used to get that! A little nudge from the foot seemed to sort it out.

Thanks for all your suggestions. If it was fixable I think you'd have it sussed.
    Will keep you posted

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I wonder if the belt needs replacing or adjusting. They're very cheap, and are considered consumables. I've not had to replace mine yet, but I know someone who's on his third belt in only a couple of years' use.
    I've had a reply already!
    Bear with me as this is going to get a bit double entendre.
    They think my belt has been overstretched (I've not touched it!). As instructed, I've unscrewed my nuts, moved and tightened them again.
    It's a partial success - the barrel goes round but with a very jerky action and it looks distinctly lopsided. I definitely think the barrel is mis-shapen although I'm not sure how as I never over load it.

Just popped back in here, after a walk...

I'd try mentioning to the supplier about the drum being 'not fit for purpose' under Consumer Law regs. They might then meet you half way with a new belt or barrel? This might be worth a try and let us know how you get on. A tumbler is my next purchase, so it will be interesting to see how you get on.
    Jules

I'm not sure how it could be mis-shapen either - they're pretty tough things, and the circular base and lid should be enough to hold the shape.

The belt stretching isn't anything you've done though Lesley - it's one of those wear and tear things that can just happen - I think it can also be affected by changes in temperature. It might be worth just getting a replacement to see if that smooths everything up?