Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Bit more advice on a Rolling Mill

Default A Bit more advice on a Rolling Mill

Ok I've managed to persuade my rellies not to give me any presents this year but give me money to go towards a rolling mill. I haven't got a cat in hells chance of affording a Durston but I have seen a new one on on Ebay.

It's sold by a firm in Leicester called Proops Brothers and although they don't list a brand name it does have the following:

Supplied with SS gears and wheels
    2 Plain Rollers
    2 Wire Rollers
    1 Cross/Flat Check
    1 Dull & Lining
    1 'V' Groove and Half Round

It's £184.00 with free p&p. As I've never used a rolling mill I'm not sure if this is a good buy or not, anyone have any thoughts?

Annie xXx

All things are possible - if you look at them the right way!

Might be worth a trip to Leicester (or somewhere near, I don't think they are actually in Leicester) and have a look at it.

I'd be very interested in what you think - someone I met was singing Proops Bros praises because of their prices but I'm a suspicious type and have wondered about the quality of their stuff.

I have one which i got off ebay which looks very much like the Proops one i saw last weekend, except that the one I got has guards covering the cogs. They are ok for the price but I would try and save up and get a good one to start with.

They do come with up to 7 rollers but can take ages to change, lots of bolts to undo, castings to remove. Then you've got to set them up again. I've found that the way mine has the cogs welded to the screws I can't get the rollers perfectly parallel.

If i did it again i would waite to buy a combi-roller no need to change rollers. buy the best you can.

I have a cheapie rolling mill, and for my purposes it works just fine. I'd love a Durston, and one of these days I will get one, but the price difference was just too great for me to justify it at this stage - it meant I was able to afford my foredom, which I wouldn't be without.

I'm sure the wire rolling isn't as accurate as it could be, but I rarely use this (I'm quite happy to draw my wire). I use it mainly for texturing sheet and thinning solder.

Mine also has guards, and I can change the rollers in under 10 minutes, including a good clean and re-grease.

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I'm sure the wire rolling isn't as accurate as it could be, but I rarely use this (I'm quite happy to draw my wire)..
    Ive not heard of a rolling mill rolling wire? It will roll a square rod, which can be then drawn down into a round wire.

if you want to melt your own alloy, and then make a round wire, a rolling mill is essential, as the square rod it produces is an intermediate stage between rough melted shape and a square rod thin enough to begin the draw plate proccess.

If you draw your own wire without using a mill, are you talking about drawing down thicker wire stock, bought in?

How thick is the cast wire jase? Im asking just because, though i know you can buy ingot moulds to pour into, i would have thought that a big diamater would produce a large wire, a bit of a pain to draw down to begin with, and a small diameter would risk metal freezing, or weak points by being a thin channel?

I melt, but into a coffe bean shape, and pass thro roller to produce a square wire, when this is about 2mm thick, and 3 or 4 inches long, i begin drawing it to wire.

I have bought some tools from Proops before and they were absolutely fine.

I have a Durston rolling mill. so couldn't tell you what the Proops rolling mill is like, but I do know that it is the most expensive piece of equipment that I have purchased and the least used! I would agree with George that a Foredom (the quick release handpiece is a godsend (thanks Carole for the tip) is the my best and most useful purchase, it has transformed the way I work and is my most loved jewellery tool.

I have a mill from Proops and so far it has been fine. I tend to use it for texturing (the bangle I did for Trudy for example) and thinning silver for microfolding and, so far, haven't got around to changing the rollers so I don't know how easy that will be. I couldn't afford a Durston at the time but wanted to play with rolling so this suited me just fine, and left me money for other tools as well.

Lorraine

Iv'e got a mill from Proops too and have no issues with it. In fact I have several tools from there and haven't had any problems at all. Got steel mandrels and lots of hand tools from them.

They're not in Leicester itself though, its a little village on the south side called Fleckney and both times I have been I drove right past twice before finding it as it's tucked away!

Default Rolling Mill - Proops

I'm pretty sure the one my hubby got me was from Proops came with all sorts of stuff and I find it good I'm sure there is better out there for more money but then there always is.

I think you will find this one ok.