Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Bit more advice on a Rolling Mill

Annie did you ever buy this rolling Mill ?

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I have a cheapie rolling mill, and for my purposes it works just fine. I'd love a Durston, and one of these days I will get one, but the price difference was just too great for me to justify it at this stage - it meant I was able to afford my foredom, which I wouldn't be without.

I'm sure the wire rolling isn't as accurate as it could be, but I rarely use this (I'm quite happy to draw my wire). I use it mainly for texturing sheet and thinning solder.

Mine also has guards, and I can change the rollers in under 10 minutes, including a good clean and re-grease.
    Could you tell me which Foredom tool you are referring to? I am looking for a way to texture sheet metal without having to spend a fortune!

A completely different tool Sandra - it was a reference to a pendant motor, which I bought with the money I saved by buying a cheap rolling mill.

If you want an alternative to a rolling mill for texturing, etching might be your best bet - it's a very cheap option (if a little more time consuming) but does give you a huge range of possibilities.

Thanks George. I still feel I need so many tools yet that it would be hard to justify any one item that's too pricey. But I want to texture metal for an idea I have so I'll read up on etching.

Hiya,
    I got my rolling mill from proops, the same one at £185 (all I could afford too) it's good for the money but it is a faff when having to swap the rollers.
    When mine arrived there was one roller damaged, I phoned and they sent a new roller out that day, I have had a few other bits from them.
    Jackie x

(OP) Sounds a lot like the one I just bought from ebay-uk - Indian made with 3 inch usable roller width, comes with 7 hardened carbon steel rollers: 2 plain, 2 dual textured, and 3 different wire size/profile, only mine was £175 free postage.

I haven't used mine yet but from what I've heard and what I can see it's more than worth the price.

The gears on mine however are what looks like blackened, machined cast steel rather than stainless (so it may not be the very same unless you have read a misprint) - not an issue unless I want to use them in damp or corrosive conditions.

But as I said not used mine yet anyway so, probably not much help then - Tell you what if mine turns out to be awful when I use it I'll let you know. ',;~}~

Shaun 'Another useful post' heheheh...