Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Goldsmith, Silversmith, Jeweller. What are YOU???

Default Goldsmith, Silversmith, Jeweller. What are YOU???

You might think we'd know this seemingly simple answer but it can cause some heated debate
    among the most placid of folks...

I guess if you make or sell your jewellery / skills in that field then you're a Jeweller,
    but what else are you and is that how you define yourself?

For example as I make precious metal jewellery, I'm a GOLDSMITH even if I mainly work in silver.
    The dictionary defines a goldsmith, as "any person who makes small objects of precious metals,
    usually for personal adornment
    ".

A SILVERSMITH according to the dictionary is a person who works on larger hollowware & flatware;
    things like candle-holders, knifes, forks, spoons, plates etc....

Given that I rarely work with gold, "goldsmith" doesn't really feel appropriate, however impressive it might
    sound on business cards! I previously thought a better term for me was either "metalsmith" or "silversmith"
    but I learnt that neither of those are right at all!

So, I have decided I'm an Artisan Jeweller. Artisan because it reflects the creativity I put
    into my pieces and "jeweller" because I can't think of anything else!!

Nic x
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

I think of myself as a jewellery designer/maker - but it sounds a bit clunky so I don't describe myself as that.

I've often had this dilemna. What am I?

Talking

I stopped calling myself a Jeweller because people always assumed I worked with beads for some reason, so I tend to call myself a silversmith now... although I'm starting to work with gold, I don't have the right to call myself a goldsmith yet

The worst was when I was at uni doing 'Design Crafts' and people used to think I made quilts and table decorations

I would say I'm a jewellery maker. Silversmith doesn't sit right as I don't do much "smithing", i.e. soldering and heating, and I don't always use silver. I use silver, copper, brass, aluminium. Pretty much anything I can bend

Jeweller sounds too professional for me, as this is really just a hobby for me that occasionally gets me a bit of spending money. It also puts me more in mind of the high street jewellers like H Samuels etc.

I don't think my skills are good enough to call myself an artisan!

I always presumed Silversmith but seem to refer to myself most often as a Jeweller as it covers the most sins. H.Samuel is a jewellers and they have all kinds of things for sale.

I might however join you in the Artisan Jeweller category as that sounds rather impressive

Jewellery Technician maybe

I call myself a designer/artist as I do lots of things that involve design and art. I don't class myself as a silversmith or a goldsmith at all and I don't want to pigeon myself into being a jeweller either as I make other things besides jewellery...it's complicated bing multi faceted!
    Find Milomade online - follow the links below....
    Website | Instagram

How you label yourself is extremely important, isn't it. I retired from midwifery 3 years ago (health) and I have only just got over the bereavement of loosing my 'midwife' label (sad or what ).

I like artisan jeweller - I think it expresses the originality, artistry, and creativity that go into creating jewellery. So

love
    Di
    Artisan Jeweller

Default Self-Representing Artist/jewellery crafter/??

Quote Originally Posted by SilverByRosie View Post
    I would say I'm a jewellery maker. Silversmith doesn't sit right as I don't do much "smithing", i.e. soldering and heating, and I don't always use silver. I use silver, copper, brass, aluminium. Pretty much anything I can bend

Jeweller sounds too professional for me, as this is really just a hobby for me that occasionally gets me a bit of spending money. It also puts me more in mind of the high street jewellers like H Samuels etc.

I don't think my skills are good enough to call myself an artisan!
    Like SilverBy Rosie, I have no idea what to call myself and haven't given myself a 'label' so far. I have had no tuition (yet) and have self taught all I know so far, although I'm planning on some short non-qualification course(s) soon. What's the Self Representing Artists Association like - I agree with their ethos of not copying designs and not using mass produced items, but am I right in thinking that this is an association for glass artists?

I'd like to join them, but feel I'd have to be trained with a qualification and wonder if anything exists for jewellery crafters?

Oh, I guess I'll just have to take a silversmithing course, then I can call myself an Artisan jeweller!!!

What do you think guys?

Jules
    Beadworkers Guild Member

I am just a noob
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away