Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Goldsmith, Silversmith, Jeweller. What are YOU???

... me too

That's it - I MUST get on and make some stuff today!! Keep those hands away from the keyboard.

Jules x

lol i am supposed to be posting invoices at work (shhhh dont tell hubby), but i am so frightened of missing some vital bit of information on here, that i keep checking the "todays Posts" lol. Tomorrow is one of my crafting days, but it's gonna be a little spoiled by a hospital appointment in the morning
    Last edited by bustagasket; 28-07-2009 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Spelling as usual :P
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

oh Su LOL
    designer- maker.....I guess! if not klutz LOL
    Em

I didn't know those definitions either. I call myself a jeweller but I suppose that does cover a multitude of sins!

I have described myself as an artisan jeweller. I'm no silversmith (can't be doing with trinket boxes and napkin rings, though I can make them), and I'm not a goldsmith (either in training or style). However, I'm also not a traditional jeweller, and don't have the tools or some of the skills to be able to call myself one. I think I need to go a long way and learn a great deal more before I can earn that title.

I also don't like calling myself a jewellery designer (though I am an SRAJD member) - not because it's not what I do, but because the label has become attached to far too much poorly finished bead stringing and cheap costume stuff, which is definitely not what I do!

Interesting thread.

Artisan jeweller does sum it up well but I think people would think I was "up myself". I agree though that just "jeweller" doesn't really do it. There must be another term that would be better.

I also dislike using the word artisan, it sounds a bit poncey to me! No offence meant to anyone who likes to use it!

I use Jewellery Designer and Maker - it's a bit more of a mouthful but to the point and covers any perceivable jewellery making technique because of its non-specificness.

I know what you guys mean about the term "Artisan" but the dictionary definition isn't too "up itself", lol
    Mirriam Webster dictionary...
    Artisan
    1 : a worker who practices a trade or handicraft : craftsperson

Etymology:Middle French, from northern Italian dialect form of Tuscan artigiano, from arte art, from Latin art-, ars

I'm striving to create beauty (albeit my version of it) and to me it is no different from Artists painting pictures.
    The main difference being they can charge £10000's for a red quare on a yellow square or a spray painted wall ~
    cause it's "Art" aint it!!

The artist uses the talent he has, wishing he had more talent.
    The talent uses the artist it has, wishing it had more artist.

~Robert Brault, www.robertbrault.com

Nicola x
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Oh you definitely deserve to class your self an artist, so what you say makes total sense, just don' think it's 'me' IYSWIM. Anyhoo, Ive seem a shedload more art in your work than a million red squares on yellow backgrounds

I like 'Artisan' and am goign to use it in my website. And part of the wiki definition says "Manufacture by hand and with hand tools imparts unique and individual qualities to artisanal products, in contrast to mass produced goods where every one is nearly identical" and "Artisan handmade jewellery is prized for its uniqueness, variety, and beauty. Reflecting the talents of the artisan onto the wearer, the broad spectrum of artisan jewelry is available to provide satisfaction to royalty, rock stars, and "everyday folk." "

There is an everyday tool (hardware) shop in Bristol called Artisan lol.

I didn't realise that Silversmithing was producing the items that Nic mentions in her first post, but like others don't think that 'goldsmithing' applies to me even if it IS what I do. I really don't like 'jeweller' as I think that conveys setting precious jewels (which I don't do) even though it really means jewellery as in adornments.

I also don't think I am a good 'designer' so don't tend to use that word much either. In fact I have half a dozen large cabs that I want to set and they have been sat here for ages as I can't 'see' what to do with them - I don't want to just put them in a plain bezel setting. I feel a design challenge thread coming on - anyone up for that?