Thread: Commission rates for a newbie

Question Commission rates - what do you charge

I have been approached by someone who has a design for a piece of jewellery (I'm seeing her on Thursday) and I wondered....

What do you think I could charge as a commission rate, considering I'm a complete newbie to working with silver?? Obviously this is a sensitive subject, so if any of you want to PM me instead, I'll understand, but any advice would be greatly appreciated. BTW, I usually charge around the £8 PH for my time, as I'm very new at this.

Last edited by Petal; 07-12-2009 at 11:07 AM.
    Jules

If its any help Jules, I usually charge my usual hourly rate plus an hourly rate for 'designing.' As a design can take anything from 5 seconds to days and days turning it over in my mind I have to be honest and say I usually just add another hour of my time at my usual rate.

hth
    Di x

I suppose it depends on how difficult the design is and how long it will take you to make. I think £8 ph is a bit cheap though. I usually charge £30 ph but I do work quite fast and I've got lots of labour saving equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    I suppose it depends on how difficult the design is and how long it will take you to make. I think £8 ph is a bit cheap though. I usually charge £30 ph but I do work quite fast and I've got lots of labour saving equipment.

I suppose £8 seems a bit cheap as compared to £30 but then your jewellery is beautifully made and you teach, so its not surprising. Whereas for me.... I'm at the bottom of the learning curve and feel I can't charge more.

If this isn't a rude question, what did you charge when you first started out Carole?
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Cottage View Post
    If its any help Jules, I usually charge my usual hourly rate plus an hourly rate for 'designing.' As a design can take anything from 5 seconds to days and days turning it over in my mind I have to be honest and say I usually just add another hour of my time at my usual rate.

hth

Thanks Di for your feedback. I was beginning to think I'd asked a question that no-one wanted to answer, because it was a 'trade secret' ??
    Jules