Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Balancing' a bracelet

Default 'Balancing' a bracelet

Hello all,

While experimenting with wire and beads to make some Christmassy bracelets this last week, I've come across a problem. I hope this makes sense, here goes...

A lot of the designs I seem to come up with for recent bracelets have featured the 'statement' bead in the middle of the bracelet so that it sits at the top of the wrist when the wearer, well, wears it. However the nicest 'statement' bead always seems to be the heaviest, and so instead tends to end up on the underneath of the wrist when worn, with the catch on top. The only way I can see to counteract this is by 'balancing' the bracelet design so there are heavier beads on either side of the catch, but this means modifying the design quite a lot.

Are there any other ways you expert beaders have come up with to 'balance' your wire and bead bracelets so this doesn't happen, or is it just a case of changing the original design?

Any tips much appreciated

I don't know about other ways of balancing designs...I don't think you can escape physics!!

I've found that bracelets are such dynamic things anyway. Unless you keep your hands by your sides all the time the bracelet is bound to be moving around...and I am forever jangling mine as I love the noise and the feeling of movement around my wrists!! I think as long as your design is beautiful all round, what difference does it make if the 'feature' bead is 'down below' sometimes?? Have a beautiful fastening and other lovely beads and dangly bits to compliment your focal bead and love to show it all!

I have found that bracelets move around less if they are fairly snug to the wrist...but I also find this to be more uncomfortable to wear...so that is no real solution either!
    Last edited by Solunar Silver Studio; 06-12-2009 at 06:52 AM.

I often attach a 'pumpkin' bead with some extra weight at the clasp - often on an extender, which helps both balance the weight, and can also be a pleasing part of the design. I also try to use fairly weighty clasps, sometimes even with a bead integrated into the clasp itself to add weight.

I'm pleased you asked this question Vivia - I've just noticed the same issue with a bracelet I made for myself and was wondering what to do about it.
    Anne

Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
    Blog: http://www.whiteoakjewellery.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the advice everyone, some good tips there.

George, excuse my ignorance, is a pumpkin bead just a bead that's sort-of pumpkin-shaped?

maybe have a couple of statement beads at opposite sides. there will then be something interesting showing even if it does spin round

A pumpkin bead is just one with enough weight to use as a 'dangle' near the clasp to help stop it swivelling. I have no idea how it got the name!

The other option is to use a clasp that's a bit of a feature in its own right

there is a scientific way of doing it too, by using yr statement stone that has a lower specific gravity than the other stones and try keep the highest SG stones toward the other end by the bracelet clasp. Along with everyone elses sugestions it could work.

I'm now using a combination of all the suggestions, and it's working marvellously. Thank you all.

Have you got a picture of the bracelet????
    Bridget x x

Never be afraid to try something new,remember amateurs built the Ark,
    professionals built the Titanic!!!

http://www.rusticcharmjewellery.co.uk