Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why did I not have one of these sooner!!

Quote Originally Posted by Green Beetle View Post
    Looks like a good find! How long did you tumble your pieces for and how much shot, barrelbrite? At £25 it seems worth a try.
    Well George had said don't fill the barrel more than 1/3 full so I have about 1.5 inch of shot in the bottom then topped it up to 1/3 with water. I cheated and used plain washing up liquid instead of barrelbrite which I think a few people on here use, and it seemed to work a treat! I think I tumbled it for about 20-30 min then had a look to see how they looked.

I also have a bit of thick rubber mat underneath it too
    Last edited by Mila Jewellery; 08-12-2009 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mila Jewellery View Post
    I tried my "National Geographic Rock Tumbler" out today on a few pieces I made today and....WOW! Soooooo much shinyness! For a budget one, it's perfect!
    Thanks for all the tips and info everyone offered me xx
    Thats great Mila, thanks for letting us know :-) I have one on my xmas list, and can't wait to have a play xx

Got one reserved in Argos Pontypool and the shot and barelbrite are on an order waiting for the next free post.

I promised myself that I wouldn't buy anything else until I've learned to use everything I've already got!
    Jane,
    (although I quite like Sunny!)

I've just used my borrowed nat geo tumbler for a bracelet and earrings that I thought were quite shiney before I started.

20 minutes later - what a result, now I understand why everyone is saying having a tumbler is a great idea!

Thanks guys and gals
    Anne

Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
    Blog: http://www.whiteoakjewellery.blogspot.com/

Hi All,

Can I just clarify are you using this National Geographic Rock Tumbler on silver? I want a tumbler but read somewhere these are for gems only but if you all have good results with silver then that would save a fortune as I just found it in Argos for £23.00.

Thanks
    Belinda

Hi Mia, yep they are using the national geographic one but with steel shot that you can purchase from cooksons sounds like it does a good job

Yep, I can vouch for the NG tumbler with cookies steel shot and barrelbrite, as has been said before wait for a free delivery offer.
    Jane,

Me again, just to confirm that I use the NG for silver, this was my first try with it and I tumbled the chain for 30 minutes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 005.jpg  
    Jane,

Heheh, my boyfriend got me a National Geographic tumbler as one of my Christmas presents. Shot to be ordered once I'm back home

I have a cookies tumbler, steel shot and barrelbrite. keep the shot wet in the barrelbrite all the time, over a year now. Still very clean and no sign of rust on the shot. Just flush the barrel and shot and renew the barrelbrite when it looks dirty. At this rate the barrelbrite will last for ever!

washing up liquid has salt in it so I would clean and dry the shot every time i used it, to keep the rust away.

Happy new year
    Neil