Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st silversmithers

Post 1st silversmithers

hi guys
    I just wonder if there's any people who are doing silversmithing for the 1st time , or you never heard of silversmithing before and want to know more about it , well , I'm more then happy to give you some help and advice on silversmithing , as I've bin doing it for 6 years now .
    feel free to post your quesions you might have, and I'll do my very best to help you

Is that like the same as metal smithing???

Thats a lovely offer thank you so much. The only thing i have completed in silver so far is a key ring lol, and i am halfway through a bracelet at college, but of course i now have to wait til college restarts to finish it. But i dont know if thats what you class as real silvermithing
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

Thanks for the offer Silvergirl. I'd love to see some of your work. I've just had a lesson on deep drawing with Cynthia Eid and found it quite difficult. I don't think it's something I'm going to take up.

hi guys
    sorry for the dealy in replying.

if you guys want to know more on silversmithing , I would be happy to post how you make a plan silver ring , if there anythink else you want me to post about silversmithing , then let me know

This will be my 'thing to learn today' Carole. What on earth is deep drawing?

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    Thanks for the offer Silvergirl. I'd love to see some of your work. I've just had a lesson on deep drawing with Cynthia Eid and found it quite difficult. I don't think it's something I'm going to take up.
    Yes - I'm echoing lindyloo here...what is deep drawing Carole.....or anyone for that matter.......

Hi Lindyloo.

Deep drawing is done with dies on an hydraulic press. It's used to make bowls and vessels etc. The metal is drawn under tremendous pressure through successively smaller dies until a vessel is formed. Raising metal the old fashioned way with stakes and hammers in pitch is really back breaking work. Deep drawing takes out a lot of the hard work. As I say, I don't think I'll be taking it up, partly because the metal dies are really really expensive, partly because you use beef tallow as a lubricant on the metal, which stinks and partly because I don't want to have to build up a whole new market in vessels at the moment. Jewellery will do me fine. I'll leave silversmithing to the experts like silvergirl and maybe to another day.

Hmmmm....yes, well....I think I agree with you...jewellery is challenging enough without moving on to the heavyweight stuff!! I remember raising a couple of simple dishes on a sandbag years ago and I seem to remember it being very therapeutic..going round and round with a regular tap tap tap...hypnotic! I think it would lose some of the charm slurping it through a machine covered in 'dripping'!! HAHAHA!! Thanks for the insight into what it is though!!

i made a pewter dish at a the Royal Selangor School of Hard Knocks in Malaysia while we were there, i was suprised how nice it looked!
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away