Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 1st silversmithers

Quote Originally Posted by silver Girl View Post
    hi guys
    sorry for the dealy in replying.

if you guys want to know more on silversmithing , I would be happy to post how you make a plan silver ring , if there anythink else you want me to post about silversmithing , then let me know
    I recently made my own wedding ring (the Mrs made her own as well) and it's the first thing I've made from fine silver D-Wire so I'd be interested in seeing if you do anything different to myself
    Goodbye

Hi I am new to this forum stuff so forgive me!
    I have been soldering succesfully without problems using both paste and stick easy solder for sometime to make silver chains from sterling wire using a hand held butane torch. Having attended a silversmithing course, I am now expanding my work to include decorative objects in just silver and in silver and copper combined. I have made a medium size bowl from copper onto which I want to solder a silver wire handle but am having real problems with the soldering. I simply cannot get the solder to melt onto the copper. Normally my hand-held butane torch works fine - is it because I'm trying to heat a larger object and my torch simply isn't up to the job? If so, how do I know what size of torch I need? Know of any good suppliers that aren't too pricey? Any advice welcome as I am flumoxed!!

Hi Diana,
    From what you describe you need considerably more heat than your managing to get from your current torch. Depending on how much you want to spend, mind you if you look at it as a long term investment it works out cheap in the long run. You could get away with something like the sievert that cooksons do but there are cheaper alternatives which are just as good running on pure propane. I use a smiths little torch which is a dual fuel torch (propane and oxygen) which in all honesty IMO is the best value for money torch available and will burn to a staggering 6300 F. You can manage what you describe with a large plumbers type torch.

PM me if you need specific advice on brand names or more info etc as I could ramble on forever on here.

Alternatively if you are anywhere near hampshire bring it along and i'll show you how to do it.

Regards

Carl

Just had a look at your site Carl... love the bracelets! (well all of it actually)

Hi Nikki. Try to get hold of a copy of "Silversmithing" by Finegold and Seitz. Very old fashioned, very, very useful. Also, the Goldsmiths Company sell a DVD from their website, "The Theory and Practice of Hand Raising" with Christopher Lawrence. With these two items I have taught myself raising and been able to make necked jugs etc. Comb the internet/ebay for a T stake and a raising hammer and just go for it! I have made many of my tools from bits and pieces picked up in junk shops and car breaking yards, and my anvil is a cut up railway sleeper with an old vice bolted to it to hold stakes. ..good luck.
    Jane