Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My first Hallmark!!!

Well done Bridget! Getting hallmarking sorted is certainly on my list for 2010.

Like Lisa I've been considering going to Sheffield as I'm based in the northwest, but I suppose it won't make much difference as it will all be done by post, but would be good to know of anyone has had any bad experiences at any particular office so I can figure out where to avoid!!!

Fi
    Fi Wilson
    Flickr

I wish there was an assay office in the south west, it seems logical to me that the mark should be sort of from the region the piece was made. I'm originally from London so I thought maybe I'd use that office instead - but the feedback is not good.

To be honest, the best feedback I've heard has been from Scotland, with Birmingham a close second.
    Di x

Ooh, thanks for the tip off Di. I only found out a couple of weeks ago that I'm an eighth Scottish so maybe I could use that as dubious justification to go to them!!! Or maybe I'll make my decision sensibly and go for the one with the best pretty stamp mark.
    Fi Wilson
    Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by indigoblue View Post
    Ooh, thanks for the tip off Di. I only found out a couple of weeks ago that I'm an eighth Scottish so maybe I could use that as dubious justification to go to them!!! Or maybe I'll make my decision sensibly and go for the one with the best pretty stamp mark.
    err, that'd be Scotland then - they have a castle
    Di x

You can read minds!!!! Just checked the marks and Edinburgh's is definitely the nicest. Interestingly though, I've also found a web page which details historical assay marks at Silver Makers Marks. Seems there was an assay office in the south west in Exeter back around 1850 and guess what... their mark was a castle too!!!! Spooky!!!!
    Fi Wilson
    Flickr

very spooky, seeing as I'm writing a book that centres on Exeter castle!
    Di x