Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I've been a bit quiet lately....

Default I've been a bit quiet lately....

Hi Guys,

After my last event I felt really down and peeved with myself for doing such a bad event. I repaired those citrine briolettes in the wrong wire, which annoyed me and just got more and more fed up about life in general.

I've realised in the last couple of weeks how disorganised I have become, not being able to find anything in my work room. I spent half an hour this morning looking for my customers jewellery I'd already prepared, only to realise I'd given it to her last week So, I'm having a complete reorganise of all my stuff, doing my database and not doing any more events until its done. Oh, and I'm going to order some tools and get practicing on using a torch and wire and I can't wait. I then hope to enter the Secret Santa for next year and be proud of what I produce.

This morning I re-did those briolettes and gave them to the customer today. She was pleased as punch and offered me more than I was expecting. While in the dentists I mentioned I made jewellery and they would like me to go in and show them some of my pieces. I feel slightly better, but am glad I'm not doing the two shows I'd got planned, plus I can see if they are as well attended as the organisers say they are!
    Jules

Don't be disheartened Jules. We all go through times like that. I've had some really cr*p shows this year but I try and learn from them and move on. That's not to say I don't keep making mistakes and I know how disappointing it can be when you psyche yourself up for a show that you think will be good and it turns out to be rubbish. It's really no reflection on your work, just that you're in the wrong place. Chin up mate

Oh, mate, you're in such good company. Sometimes all seems peachy and then everything seems to go tits up and you wonder why you bother. But, you see, that's what makes you worthwhile and what you're doing worthwhile - you care enough to get it right. The downside of that is that you'll never be good enough in your own eyes; the upside is that you'll always be improving.

For what its worth, I'm doing exactly the same as you. I'm beavering away here, quietly learning to do things properly. I make lots of scrap and sometimes I think that I have no natural aptitude at all - then I turn out something that's halfway decent and I feel good again.

I think we're so lucky (go get your sick bucket out) because this is such a wonderfully supportive community. There's no judgement and no unconstructive criticism - just honest, objective advice.

You'll be just fine
    Di x

Thanks so much guys.

I've honestly had some 'I'm no good, I can't do this anymore' moments since my last event and was ready to just get rid of it all. I felt so useless after taking something to an event without knowing how much it cost me to make. I'd also priced a necklace for someone at the right price (including my time), for someone who had bought a pair of earrings at the old price (without my time included). She asked me for the price of the necklace three times and I felt awful. I just wanted to hide away. I just hope I haven't pissed off any locals, 'cos you know how word spreads in small communities.

You are SO right Di - this forum is The BEST.

guys!

off to do some french!

Bonsoir

xx
    Jules

Don't worry I think everyone feels like that from time to time. I've certainly had my 'days' in the last fews weeks where I just feel like giving up.

I nearly cried when I was setting up my first show since the wedding planning, wedding and honeymoon. A lot of my work were pieces from galleries that had shut down and given me back my stock. (Another thing i try not to get too depressed about!)

Anyway, i'd completely underestimated how dirty all my jewellery would be from being packed up for a while (and spending a while on a gallery shelf).

There was not a sparkle in sight! I was distraught! I spent the whole show polishing! But do you know what? i sold a piece that I'd had for ages and i hadn't even got round to polishing yet!

Oh and I nearly broke my website today... luckily Ben was around to help me fix it.

I'm sure there is a message in all that somewhere! I guess its just to keep your chin up cos things are never as bad as they may appear. If you are anything like me, it only takes something simple and llittle to happen to cheer up again.

I know exactly how you feel too All my jewellery plans, along with my life, lol have gone AWOL since I moved, there has been so much to do!

Just gotta keep going! Hope you're feeling more positive soon
    Lucinda

for you Jules.

Another couple of weeks and the days start getting longer again. You'll see, it makes a difference.

Ooh hugs everyone

Two quotes from the last eBench Newsletter (they call them Quotes worth Requoting so I will...)

"There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do,
    there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen." Wayne Dyer

"The only thing that stands between a man (or woman) and what he/she wants from life is often merely the will to try it and the faith to believe that it is possible." Richard M. DeVos

It is only your resolve that is scarce and your faith that has flown at the moment. Your skill and will are still there, they are just a bit dim in this winter darkness. Like George says it will all start to come back when the light does. Then it will reflect off everything else and make you shine from the inside too.

Erm, this was meant to be in another thread, ignore me!
    Last edited by agent_44; 02-12-2009 at 06:33 PM.
    Lucinda

Oh, Jules, I feel like that a lot of the time.
    Personally, I think the best and most creative people are disorganised........well I will until I've tidied up.

Nicci, those quotes are spot on but how do you get yourself a big dollop of resolve? I'm afraid my favourite expression is CBA.