Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to make a cage - Part 1

Awesome tutorial Dave and more great tips on how to do things. I'm glad you have a work area that looks worse than mine, I don't feel so bad now.

Can't wait for the next installment
    Jules

Hope you enjoyed your pint! It was well deserved!!!

Very clear and impressive.
    At this rate we'll have a web-cam of you and the pint.
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Hart-Star View Post
    Very clear and impressive.
    At this rate we'll have a web-cam of you and the pint.
    Pint? - Is that an offer? - Mine's a Tinners thanks.

Cheers

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Bigwol View Post

I LOVE THIS PHOTO!!

Thanks again Dave!

Well if you're ever in my neck of the woods I'll certainly shout you a Tinners
    You're amazing for sharing all these detailed steps

Default People I have learned from

Quote Originally Posted by Gemma View Post
    Well if you're ever in my neck of the woods I'll certainly shout you a Tinners
    You're amazing for sharing all these detailed steps
    I like detailed instructions, one of my favourite books is Professional Goldsmithing - A Contemporary Guide to Traditional Jewelry Techniques
    by Alan Revere - ISBN 0-9651049-0-7 His work is meticulous, intelligent and flawlessly executed. - It looks good too!

Others I respect (and have nicked ideas and techniques from) include

Contemporary Jewelry (A Craftsman's Handbook) Philip Morton ISBN 0-03-072200 - great for freeform design

The inevitable - THE COMPLETE METALSMITH - Tim McCreight ISBN - 0-87192-240-1 - (Don't bother getting the posh Pro edition, the drawings are better in the basic edition)

Metal Techniques for Craftsmen - by the late Oppi Untracht - A basic manual on the methods of forming and decorating metals
    - actually not basic at all - and interesting since it covers simple techniques used in supposedly 'less advanced' countries such as India, which make us all look like beginners! ISBN - 0-7091-0723-4

The Theory & Practice of GoldSmithing - Prof. Dr Erhard Brepohl
    Technical, and very Germanic in it's disciplined approach to teaching every aspect of Gold and Silversmithing - from metallurgy, alloying and the chemistry of metal colouring and etching - to traditional craft exercises for perfecting your filing technique - there's a lot in here - Initially published in German in 1961 it has only recently been translated into English by Charles Lewton-Brain - Editied by Tim McCreight

Last - but by no means least - My recommendation for your Christmas list - Gemstones of the World by Walter Schumann - Newly revised and expanded Third Edition ISBN - 1-4027-4016-6. As the back cover says - the definitive guide to gems for over 20 years. It is truly excellent, and relatively inexpensive - I got mine for £9.99 from Amazon - over 1500 photos of Gemstones and Semi precious stones in their rough and polished states.

Have a lovely Christmas

Dave

Great Dave, I’ve watched videos and thought to myself that I can do that. Gone out and sat at the bench and made it. I’ve found that reading some books seem to make it sound harder. Your pictures breaking the stages down, will help us to see that most things can be made in stages.

Great work again Dave.
    Neil

Nice work Dave. It's your great photos that make the tutorial come to life.
    Linda

Default Here we go again

The new foot control - complete with free Draper switch housing - (at least I got some use out of it - the screwdrivers were rubbish!)

I built it because I got a bit stuck with the soldering pictures - basically I ran out of hands, a feeling which I'm sure many of you sympathise.

It may not look like much, but it means I can preset exposure and focus (all my lenses are manual focus), and then just tread on the switch to take the photo, hopefully at the right instant.

I can have the torch in my left hand, my soldering pick in my right hand and my foot on the switch to take the piccy!

So far it works really well - there is a bit of a danger that I concentrate so much on taking the picture, that I forget about the job in hand, and make a complete cods of it - wish me luck!